Is this a bug transmitter??

waelkd

Joined Nov 16, 2013
Good day guys,

While checking my desk today i found this "thing" glued under it. am not sure if its a micro microphone. would you please help

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Some observations and guesses.

There is a Nokia headset with a model number HS-105. This might be a part from that.

On the PCB, there is a UR mark, which I wouldn't think would be on a "bug."

There is no battery and no antenna that I can identify.

There is a 'lump" on the side opposite the mic that may contain more electronics, maybe even a microcontroller.

I don't think it is an operational "bug," although it is certainly curious how it could have been glued under your desk, and why.

Is it possible that someone is trying to make you think you're being surveilled? What were you looking for when you found this device? Are you suspicious that you are being watched?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Some observations and guesses.

There is a Nokia headset with a model number HS-105. This might be a part from that.

On the PCB, there is a UR mark, which I wouldn't think would be on a "bug."
Nice find on the Nokia headset. I was just looking for the same thing! The UR mark made me suspicious too.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Same here. I noticed the UR mark and figured that it was a microphone module intended for wireless mics or something like that. I found several hits on the HS-105 marking last night, including the Nokia, but everything seemed to be for complete microphone assemblies. I was hoping to find a link to the actual part.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
There's no battery, IC or other components? That thing in the middle looks like a cheap tact switch (push button) and there are obvious looking solder joints on the bottom around the tact that seem to have bits of wire soldered onto the pads. Maybe the wires were snipped off?

My guess based on the weird shape, tact button, electret mic and removed wires is that this was part of a toy or something.

Notice the two solder pins for the electret mic seem to have a lot of flux, but the other soldering does not?

I've seen little round-ish tact PCBs like this in fluffy toys, in their hands and feet, where you squeeze the foot and the fluffy toy makes a sound. Maybe they got one of those little tact button PCBs and soldered an electret mic onto it, to make a "bug" prop to fool people?

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
The pics are confusing me... it looks in the one pic like there are a bunch of through hole pins that I don't see on the side with the mic. Is this thing made up of multiple PCBs stacked?

waelkd

Joined Nov 16, 2013
Hye ,

The thing in th emiddle is what "the RB" said , its a button , its clickable.

so yeah i think its nothing.

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
Maybe it's nothing. Or maybe the part with the transmitter, or the recorded information, had already been retrieved, when you found it.

Or, perhaps more likely, the previous user of that desk had installed a system that they could use to surreptitiously record (or transmit) conversations with people who came to see them, and that's only what's left of it. Hence the button.

Contact your Facility Security Officer, if you have one.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's totally non functional (now) as a bug or microphone.

I still think it's a display prop, made from a little PCB probably out of a toy. I've seen similar PCB shapes, made round-ish to be fitted into a fluffy toy hand or foot.

Likewise that solder rim around the PCB edge makes the edge smooth and more rounded so it doesn't rip the cloth material of the toy.