is there any open source hardware development kit for Electronic paper displays?

JJoll

Joined May 7, 2013
Hi everyone,
My partners and I worked on a Electronic Paper Display project last year as a part of our university project. We could successfully finish our project and we created a product that received a lot of positive feedbacks. Now we are considering to mass produce it (like 100 units) and put it in the market. We initially used development kit from pervasive display's 7.4 inch development kit as it was the only 7 inch kit out there for hobbyist developers (http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/products/74) . We added a micro controller and a bluetooth module to the pervasive display kit but the main kit's schematic isnt really open sourced and we dont know how epaper screen controller module is made (hardware and software wise). what are our options regarding mass producing a project like this where we have used another company's screen and controller module? I have seen variety of start ups create a new products by using some other company's kits (like plastic logic's), how do they approach this? Do we have to get in touch with them and get a licensing deal? Is it possible to hack their TCB board and create our own board? any suggestions?
Or is there any open sourced eink screen controller that you know of?

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012