Is there an integrated circuit for...

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mr.Wolf, May 14, 2009.

1. Mr.Wolf

Thread Starter New Member

May 14, 2009
    Hi all,

Thank you in for any help provided.

I am trying to build an interface for the parallel port and I have been looking for a few days now and almost have what i want.

Now I am looking to condense it.

As most people know their is 8 "Data" pins in the parallel port, I am want to use four of those to "broad cast" to latching relays via a IC7408 and four to address them

What i need is to be able to address to more then 4 IC7408's.

please correct me (if I'm wrong) but with four inputs I can have a possible 16 outputs so as a result 64 (16 outputs* 4 the other data pins) possible latching relays.

I know i can achieve the 16 outputs using a combination of xor gates and diodes (to avoid cross contamination). However, it would be nice if their was a single chip I could use (I'm guessing their would be 22 pins (4 input + 16 output + 1 Ground + 1 Active)

Thank you, again in advance for any suggestions.
  2. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    At work we use the CD4067 four to sixteen Multiplexer/Demultiplexer.

3. Mr.Wolf

Thread Starter New Member

May 14, 2009
    Thanks Rich,

Excellent, looks like what I needed.

However, upon googling it to try and buy one I came across another product the CD4514BC don't suppose you know the difference? at first look their data sheet appears to be very similar other then the CD4067 accepts a larger range of voltage bellow is a link to the CD4514BC data sheet.

thanks again.

- Shawn.