Is there an IC that will give me a high/low value for a specific input bits?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by alikation, Feb 4, 2012.

1. alikation

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I'm looking for an IC that will give me a low or high output bit depending on 6 input bits.

I'm trying to find a relatively cheap IC that will give me a high or low depending on a signal it gets. The signal is 6 input bits.

For now, I have a "digital comparator" in mind, where the 6 input bits will be compared to the 6 bits that I wanted... (it will be high if it's the 6 input bits and the "compare" bits are equal)

so the problem here is that I have to individually wire each bit (14 lines per chip, 6 input bits and another 6 compare lines to see if it's equal) . . . . . if there's other chips that can do this, it will be great.

(Even if we can buy something that is pre-programmed with something with the "compare" bits, it will be great.
  2. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Yes, you use a digital comparator such as a 4-bit CD4036. You can gang two together to get 6-bits.
  3. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    A multiplexer will also do the same thing. Tie the multiplexer inputs high or low as required and use the select bits as your inputs. Two 8:1 multiplexers will cover six bits nicely. If you get one with a tri-state or open-collector output you can connect the outputs together for additional wired-or logic.