Is there a website that builds simple circuits for you for less than $50?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Is there a website where you can subcontract someone out to build a simple circuit for you, with a BOM and board layout?

I need a simple circuit built and just don't have the knowledge to do it :confused: (I'm hoping I can backwards calculate how this one is built and learn from it)
You couldn't get anybody with knowledge to do it for a flat rate of $50 because it's probably at least 4+ hours to do such a design.

It's the same thing I tell the guys in my shooting league when I fix their guns and they ask me what they owe me:

"I'll have to give it to you for free because you couldn't afford what I would have to charge you...":D

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
The $50 was just a figure, it wasn't set in stone.

If you are capable of doing this, can you give me an estimate?

You couldn't get anybody with knowledge to do it for a flat rate of $50 because it's probably at least 4+ hours to do such a design.

It's the same thing I tell the guys in my shooting league when I fix their guns and they ask me what they owe me:

"I'll have to give it to you for free because you couldn't afford what I would have to charge you...":D

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The $50 was just a figure, it wasn't set in stone.

If you are capable of doing this, can you give me an estimate?
To get anybody to estimate the job, you have to define it:

1) write up exactly what are the specs. What power does it have to run on, what operating conditions, size, and what exactly does it have to do?

2) What is the deliverable? A working PC board fully assembled, just the gerber files, whole thing built into a case?

If you can post the specs, that's the first step to getting a bid.

To be honest, I don't know what this means from your other post. I don't know what you are trying to do.

I need an electronic circuit that can mimic (?) these voltage readings

Step 1: 1.614 vdc before the pump runs
Step 2: 1.833 vdc while the pump runs
Step 3: 2.041 vdc as the pump turns off
Step 4: 1.574 vdc after the pump turns off

The circuit will when the pump is on and off via a ground signal that will be the trigger and is already part of the car. (?)

I can build the part of the circuit with the voltage converter and specific voltage outputs, and a relay (probably crude) to control the transition between Step 1 and Step 2. (?)

What I don't know what to do:

How to get the voltage to spike up to 2.041 when the relay is released?

How to get the voltage to settle back down at 1.574?

How to not let the voltage that is coming out of the sensor output wire/ecu signal input wire, to skew the voltage value that is coming out of my circuit? I tried a zener diode, and I had to compensate an additional .4 volts or something? I don't know why that was either?

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My help is free.

I have been known to help people by sending them parts.

I don't think I would ever build something, but if I did it would be because I was interested in the project.

If you have ever built anything complicated from scratch you should know that 40+ hours is not unusual.

All of this should be telling you something. My time is in short supply, and so is extremely valuable.

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
1) It has automotive power to run on, 11vdc to 14vdc. As far as amperage, the ecu has 16 gauge wire coming into it with a 10amp fused connection, and it would be preferable to piggy back off of that. Operating conditions are in cabin to the vehicle -10 F to 120F ?

2) I would like a working board, a schematic and a parts list so I can duplicate it, and a copy of the code on the microcontroller

As for my other post, I was trying to give a verbal representation of what the circuit had to do.

The microcontroller has to send out a voltage signal to the ecu.

When the ignition is on, but engine is not running, it needs to be around 1.614v, when a solenoid ground turns on (signal sent by ecu) it needs to ramp up to around 1.833v, and as the ecu's solenoid signal terminates it needs to spike to 2.041v and then ramp down to a voltage value in a window of 1.44v to 1.60v and oscillate back and forth once a second between the two extremities of that window

Does that make more sense and is that enough info for a quote/estimate?

To get anybody to estimate the job, you have to define it:

1) write up exactly what are the specs. What power does it have to run on, what operating conditions, size, and what exactly does it have to do?

2) What is the deliverable? A working PC board fully assembled, just the gerber files, whole thing built into a case?

If you can post the specs, that's the first step to getting a bid.

To be honest, I don't know what this means from your other post. I don't know what you are trying to do.

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
Are you saying you are interested in this project, that I'm pestering you for posting this, that it would take 40+ hours to build, or something else?

You were extremely helpful in my ebook post, so I appreciate that!

My help is free.

I have been known to help people by sending them parts.

I don't think I would ever build something, but if I did it would be because I was interested in the project.

If you have ever built anything complicated from scratch you should know that 40+ hours is not unusual.

All of this should be telling you something. My time is in short supply, and so is extremely valuable.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nope, didn't say that. :) I wish you luck, but on these kinds of projects it is up to the person interested in the project to do the work. You will notice a silence on people stepping forward, we all have our personal projects.

I conservitively figure this project will take at least 40 hours, probably a lot more. Research is work too.

I can't help much with fluid dynamics, but if it comes back to electronics I can help point the way for ya.

The original query (build my project for $50) did show a lack of understanding how much work this stuff can be. It takes strange people to devote the kind of hours in doing this kind of work, and consider it fun.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
1) It has automotive power to run on, 11vdc to 14vdc. As far as amperage, the ecu has 16 gauge wire coming into it with a 10amp fused connection, and it would be preferable to piggy back off of that. Operating conditions are in cabin to the vehicle -10 F to 120F ?
Understood.

1)
2) I would like a working board, a schematic and a parts list so I can duplicate it, and a copy of the code on the microcontroller
Honestly, from any competent contractor: probably about $1-2k (minimum) to develop the circuit/PCB (at least, maybe more if there is code to be written) and having the PCB fabricated would probably cost at least $500. They don't make a single PC board, the least they can make is a "panel" and they charge for tooling up to run the boards. In most cases 50 boards costs about the same as five.

1)

As for my other post, I was trying to give a verbal representation of what the circuit had to do.

The microcontroller has to send out a voltage signal to the ecu.

When the ignition is on, but engine is not running, it needs to be around 1.614v, when a solenoid ground turns on (signal sent by ecu) it needs to ramp up to around 1.833v, and as the ecu's solenoid signal terminates it needs to spike to 2.041v and then ramp down to a voltage value in a window of 1.44v to 1.60v and oscillate back and forth once a second between the two extremities of that window

Does that make more sense and is that enough info for a quote/estimate?
I think I understand, but you would need to specify for the designer: exactly what is the "ramp" rate for the signal changes.

A digi head hardware designer could probably come up with a design that does this, but I am an analog designer with most experience in power management and audio. Not my area.