Is there a server problem here?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Audioguru, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Audioguru

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    For about 1 week or two weeks many times I cannot log in here. The internet cannot find this site or it is waiting for this site to respond.

Today I made a post and clicked "manage attachments" but got a timer. Again and again I tried refresh then it worked normally and quickly the 3rd time.

Sometimes I post a reply then click "post reply" and get a timer. If I click again and again then sometimes it makes multiple posts.

EDIT:
    I waited about 10 seconds after pressing "Submit New Thread" before it worked for this thread. 10 seconds of wondering if it will work or not. It worked finally.

2. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    That has occurred to me as well, where AAC is completely inaccessible for a short duration. Also, when I've tried to browse recent posts, the thread will say who posted but when I enter the thread, it doesn't show that particular person's post! This has only been present on one computer; otherwise it works fine if I'm on a different computer. Thus, I think it is part of my computer settings-perhaps.

As for the timer, that hasn't occurred to me.

Austin

3. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    There was another delay when I tried to open this thread from a notification of your reply. It took about 15 seconds and my IE Explorer8 with the latest updates showed an hour-glass timer at the bottom of the screen while waiting for this site to WAKE UP!

Something is wrong here. I have seen the same problem at other sites then they fix it and it is fine for a few months.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Sometimes I get a "bad response from server" error. I have several times played a bit of (dare I admit it?) hearts while waiting for a reply to get posted.

Maybe we're just so popular that the server bogs down.

5. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I know nothing about servers but I get the feeling that there are only a limited number of ports for people to enter here. If all the ports are busy then I must wait for somebody to leave for me to get in.

But maybe the server has defective ports? If i get into one then I am stuck and must try again and hope I get a good port. A good port gives me immediate entry.

6. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    Hi guys. There has been a problem, I should have posted earlier. Basically, from the looks of it, the server AAC is hosted on has been getting ddos'd. Specifically, we are getting inundated by DNS requests, so when a legit user attempts to issue a DNS request for the domain, it's failing due to limited resources to fill all the requests.

I've been working with the hosting company trying to figure it out. We have the IP in a Cisco hardware firewall for the past 24 hours, and things seem to be getting better. I've been super busy this week, but will have a lot of time this weekend to figure something else if this ddos persists.

Rob

7. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Thanks for the explanation. Good luck fixing the problem.

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Is this a malicious attack, a true DOS, or just high use, or yet to be determined?

9. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    Bill, I believe it was malicious yes, although things have mellowed out now. The attack may not have been to AAC directly, but at the box it's hosted on.

10. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I have always encouraged guest to register,but if so many
    regulars are having problems getting in,myself included. In
    there any way to put some guest at the back of the line.
    It would get more guest to sign -up.

11. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    You are still having problems? Things seem to have been running smooth the past few days, for me at least.

12. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

It sometimes takes very long to load a page.
    Also when replying it takes sometimes long before the post is send.

Greetings,
    Bertus

13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    So far the problem has been at nuisance level, and I haven't timed out in a week or so. It has taken a little while for some posts to enter, but ultimately it did go in.

We've had problems in the past, I just took it in stride.

14. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    This site works perfectly now.

15. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    The site is working perfectly for me; except one thing. Is anyone having trouble searching for things in the search bar?

Austin