Is there a list of common electronic components?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BringMeAnother, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BringMeAnother

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Hi, very much new to electronics here. I was wondering if there is a central place where there is a sort of list of electronic components like the LM2577. Ideally, the list would provide a good description of each component. The problem with me is that I don't even know what I can potentially make without knowing what is out there. Thanks.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    In a broad sense the web is a centralized location in that it is accessible by alsmost everyone almost everywhere. If you use google to find chip manufacturers, they usually have good descriptions of their product lines. If you go to a broad line distributor like Digi-Key you can not only gauge the popularity of a chip by price and/or quantity in stock, but you can order small quantities to experiment with.

Surprised you asked this question since the answer seems so self-evident to me.

3. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Actually, I never heard of lm2577 and had to google what it is. It doesn´t seem like a common component with everyday use.

For example for opamps and similar "standard" devices the easiest way to find them is to go to sites like farnell or digikey and using their parametric search to get what you need.
    Unfortunately for more dedicated ICs like DC/DC converter chips and other single purpose parts it will be pretty hard to get to know the "most common" pieces.
    Also, I think the design process should go the other way, first you say what you need and then try to find something that could do the job required. There may be some parts that can do the job of more parts single handedly, but those situations I think are rare, and with careful selection of google queries you should be able to find them anyway.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    digikey.com
    :)

5. Blofeld

Feb 21, 2010
  6. BringMeAnother

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks for the answers. I would google it but didn't know what words to use. Now I know.

7. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    BMA.
    Welcome to the addiction. I have been studying the text bok for a couple of years now and have managed to assemble a very nice collection of components. I went about it in such a way if I needed to order one for a project I would order three. I bought a lot of common parts like resistor, caps and pots from Ebay through Hong Kong. For the difference in price I could afford to get an occasional bad part, even though it has not happened yet. There are several vendors who ship free and get your order out the same day you place it and they arrive in 7-10 days in the US. I dont order complex components from China like IC's and high end boards because if the fail you have no recourse but to order another and wait for the replacement to arrive. So in my case Ebay is my freind, once I have a general idea of what I am looking for by doing a parametric search on one of the wholesale house sites. Hope this helps point you in the right direction.
    Wheelchair Bob