Is there a dimmable electronic transformer below 60W

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by gardenyu, Dec 15, 2009.

1. gardenyu

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I try to use a dimmable electronic transformer (for halogen lights) to power my LED supply, which is like 10-20W, but the minimum I found is 60W, which is slightly too big for my application. A 20-30W one is just enough for me.

Any comment?

2. rhythmtech

Jan 7, 2009
    You may want to post a link to a datasheet or some more info on the transformer. I am not sure how having a transformer rated higher than your load is bad. Seems like you would want to do that in the first place, but then again I don't know exactly what kind of transformer you are looking at.

3. gardenyu

Aug 11, 2009
  4. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Normal AC phase control lamp dimmers don't work very well with the new LED lamps, I've got one in ckt. now and it has just 2 levels, dim and bright with a lot of hysteresis between the two levels. Maybe there are LED lamp dimmers available, but the old style incandescent AC phase control units are only marginal at best. Time for a new design effort...anyone?

Cheers, DPW [ Always remember that you are not going to live forever.]

5. gardenyu

Aug 11, 2009
    well, a lot of people have been working on using the normal forward phase TRIAC dimmer with LED lighting, such as ST, National, NXP and multiple patents.

I made one that dims pretty good (down to 1%) from several phase dimmers, so this is not a problem actually.

6. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Post the circuit, please. The question is: Is there a 20-30W LED lamp dimmer? The one he is using is 12 VAC @ 25 KHz. (pwm?) or some other variable power device?

Regards, DPW

7. gardenyu

Aug 11, 2009
    it's not a circuit question.

All electronic transformers perform the same, they take 120 or 240 input and provides 12V or 24V at high frequency.

I'm just looking for a smaller one since I don't require high wattage.

8. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Different makes seem to have different minimum load ratings.

The lowest I've seen to far is a 60W with a minimum load of 20W.
    I think as they are designed for halogen lamps, the makers don't see a need for lower ratings.

As LED systems become more popular, hopefully they will start to be produced.