Is there a device that stops a small current passing but allows a large current?

Bhope691

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Hi,

Is there an electrical component that stops a small current from passing through, but if the current is large enough, is allowed to pass through without destroying the component?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Why do you want do that?
Explain exactly what you are trying to do.
How can the current ever get to be a large current if you stop the small current? :confused:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Yes... Let us solve the real problem... Not work with what you think the solution is..
So please explain what you are trying to do..

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi,

Is there an electrical component that stops a small current from passing through, but if the current is large enough, is allowed to pass through without destroying the component?
How can there be a current that is "large enough" if the current is being blocked?

You need to explain in much more detail what you are trying to accomplish.

gramps

Joined Dec 8, 2014
If you block a small current, then no current is flowing. If no current is flowing it can never become a large current.
As others said, what are you trying to do?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi,

Not a simple component, but a circuit. You would need to get specific about how much current you were talking about.
Second concern ... :) if you have to ask the question could you understand the answer?
If we gave you as circuit design could you build it? No insult intended, I don't know your abilities, this being your first post.
Yes, the problems mentioned are a killer. Let's hear the original condition that is trying to be dealt with. If you turn off the circuit at a small current you can't develop a high current.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
OK, here's a comment from the peanut gallery. I may be entirely wrong on this, but I don't claim to be any kind of expert. Still, I like a challenge. So I came up with this.

Q1 base remains off because there is insufficient current being drawn. Either no load at all or a light load and the current is insufficient to switch it on. But when the load is high enough the current needed to activate Q1 turns it on. Current then passes through R1 & R4, turning the base of Q2 on. Q2 holds the base of Q1 low via R3. R2 prevents C1 from charging too fast preventing the base of Q1 from shutting off before Q2 can go active.

This may not work. Probably won't work. But I'm trying to exercise thought in an area where I'm not familiar with. As is much of my electronics. That's why I'm here. But if this circuit works - or if some modified version will work then I'm confident that the experts here will quickly speak up as to why my circuit won't work and possibly offer a solution that will work. The problem with this is once it's turned on, how do you shut it off? Only a power interrupt will turn it off. OR you can interrupt the base of Q1. I haven't figured that out yet.

So here's my shot at this:

Peanut Galery Load Switch.png

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
No. The whole idea behind the flux capacitor is the eddy currents surrounding the conductors. By passing a current in a - lets assume positive direction, this will result in travel back in time, depending on how much energy and the duration. To travel back to the place you started you must pass current in the opposite (negative) direction in order to move forward in time.

Enough nonsense (from me).

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Still no clarification from the OP.
I sometimes have the feeling that some thread starters throw poorly worded questions with a lack of information at us just to watch us flounder, trying to guess at at the correct answer. :rolleyes:
These people are not engineers. It is difficult to respond on the same level they are. Thus the comment "if you gave to ask the question would you understand the answer?"

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
If you take the question literaliy then a spark gap or diac would not meet the OP reqirement as they depend on voltage. I don't think there can be a solution as a current must be flowing to measure it to set a threashold.

Les.

Hi,

Are you, perchance, conflating current with other electrical quantities? -- 'Negative resistance' devices (e.g. thyristors, varistors, 'transient absorbers', Zener diodes, tunnel diodes, UJTs, gas discharge tubes, etc), for instance, might be said to 'block' current flow below certain 'voltage' levels -- Unfortunately the laity (including, IMO, most egregiously, entertainment) have fallen into the 'habit' of referring to all aspects of electrical energy as 'current' sans regard to sense, sanity or anything like reason!:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

PS
FWIW it is my guess that your (actual) interest is in regards to transient absorbers or inrush limiters (q.v.)

Last edited:
These people are not engineers.
Perhaps not - but they are students (formally or otherwise) and, more to the point, participants whom might reasonably be expected to exhibit a modicum of courtesy - via, for instance, following up their questions!:mad:

Perhaps 'dearth of social grace' ≠ 'troll' - Though I assert such to be an 'inequality by fiat' at best!:rolleyes:

Respectfully
HP

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Perhaps the OP feels intimidated by the responses. Maybe they realize their lack of knowledge and is too embarrassed to come back and present themselves again. After all, I did see some mighty big words being used here. Kind of intimidating to me. At least I admit my ignorance on some subjects.

At least I admit my ignorance on some subjects.
Ditto! -- IMO pride comes way too high by virtue of its incompatibility with education!

As regards the OP -- I feel the respondents have been more than patient and friendly - IMO his ongoing 'reticence' is nothing short of ungrateful!:rolleyes:

Oh! Well! -- I suppose we'll survive another day;)

Best regards
HP:)