Is that true? About polarity...

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Lightfire, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Hello,

My lamp had a polarity and some says that if you put the terminals incorrectly into the battery, there is a possibility that the lamp will explode or something. OK now, is it true?

My lamp is not dimmable. What does it mean?

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    With LEDs maybe, but not with a conventional incandescent light bulb.

3. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Hello Bill Marsden. :)

My lamp is compact fluorescent lamp if i remember correctly. yes it is. :D

anyway, can you explain me whats not dimmable means in lamps? O_O

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Basically a dimmer circuit makes the light brightness adjustable, it is called a dimmer. An AC version uses a device called an SCR (silicon controlled rectifier). My PWM article will work on LEDs and incandescent lights OK. A florescent light works differently than both of the others. It is a low pressure gas with two incandescent filaments on the ends. It takes high voltage to start, but low voltage to keep going, so it is a popular portable light.

If you are interested in florescent lights I'll go into more detail. They are closely related to neon lights, but there are significant differences. A white LED is also related to a florescent light too, both use a phosphore chemical that glows in the presence of blue or ultraviolet.

5. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Bill_Marsden, :D thank you for the info you gave. :D

Now, can you say to me what is the "+" and "-" terminal of a cfl???

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    In and of themselves flourescent lights don't really have a polarity, however, they use solid state electronics to drive them, which definately does.

Have you read the Wikipedia article on CFLs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

Personally I believe flourescent lights days are numbers, they will be replaced with LEDs.