is ringing in a transformer bad?

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009
so i just breadboarded this circuit along with a hand wound transformer.

http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1923

the circuit operates correctly and seems to function as it should, but i was just wondering if ringing in the circuit will cause any issues down the line? is there anything i can do about it? it is oscillating around 200khz to 300khz. the ic is a square wave oscillator with opposite pulses on pins 1 and 8. i attached a few pics too. pic 1 is the primary side.pic 2 is secondary and pic 3 is breadboard.

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Can't help much with your ringing problem other than to observe that matching load to output impedance will reduce it. I do have to say I like to see you scope is still in operation! I built one of those back in 1965! Great scope for hobby use at the time. 5Mhz bandwidth, DC coupled.... What more could you ask for? Too bad it suffered from DC drift so badly.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Distributed capacitance with the windings form resonance with the inductance. Recall that voltage is maximized at resonance in a parallel tuned circuit. A cap across the coil will lower the ringing frequency. Step changes in the current through the inductor initiate the ringing.