Is photography gels glass works in night?

Discussion in 'General Science' started by engr.sajidzaman, Aug 7, 2011.

1. engr.sajidzaman

Thread Starter New Member

May 9, 2010
  2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    The goggles just block some colours, they won't let you see infrared. At night you will just see blackness.

3. engr.sajidzaman

Thread Starter New Member

May 9, 2010
  4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    "Pure hoax"
    You can't see IR, no filter will change that.
    <ed>Digital cameras / camcorders can see infrared but there is no need for the gels</ed>

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    The human eye only sees red to dark blue.

If the infrared could excite a substance to emit light in the red to dark blue spectrum then your eye could see 'infrared'. But only if it is first changed to a freq. in the red to dark blue range. A filter will not do this. A filter will remove a freq from the spectrum passing through, but nothing else. You need a substance which will absorb infrared and 're-radiate' at a visible wavelength. Something similar to the phosphors inside fluorescent light bulbs. They absorb UV light created by electrically excited mercury ions and re-radiate visible wavelengths.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I have seen magic on YouTube, but yet I still don't believe in magic. Do you believe in magic?

Night vision does exist in several forms, but not like this (as has been stated). A simple CCD camera (digital cameras or camcorders) see deeper into the infrared than humans. Simple light sources, such as IR LEDs, will illuminate the scene and you won't see a thing. Far as I know, all night vision is done electronically.