Is my TV (bleep)ed?

Meshmesh12

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Greetings, I'm new to this forum and I hope I need help with something that's hopefully not out of topic :p

So a couple of days ago I turned on my LCD TV after not using it for a couple of months (I changed room and in that room there's no cable connection and my procrastinator housemate that own the house never called the cable company until the other day >.<) and to my surprise the TV is all messed up now. The left half of the screen now has 4 vertical lines with different colors that wasn't there before. I'm not sure how this happened. I'm very sure when it was moved, my friend and I were very careful, the TV didn't hit anything on the way to the new room... Aside from accumulating dust, it had been sitting on its stand for the last couple of months... Is it possible that not turning it on for that long what caused this? Is there anyway to fix this? Would you recommend me taking it to something like bestbuy to fix it? (I know they grossly overcharge on fixing anything but sadly I haven't a clue of other place that fix electronics...) Pretty sure the TVs out of warranty since I got it 2 years ago from Walmart and I didn't buy the extended warranty from them.

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me, thanks :)

Btw: the model is proscan 42led55sa if it makes any difference, and I attach a screenshot below

Attachments

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
The TV is telling you its not recieving a signal. Check that there is signal at the cable outlet in that room.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That, my friend, is why you NEVER EVER EVER buy electronics from Walmart!

Seriously, though, do like MrChips suggested--connect a different input and see if the lines remain. It could be part of the TV's programming to display the lines as part of the "no signal" screen.

P.S. I've got to ask--did you bleep your own title, or did the mods have to do it? :eek:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The mods <snip>. They don't "bleep". and I agree that the screen shot is so clean that it is probably a proper response to a bad input.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The mods <snip>. They don't "bleep". and I agree that the screen shot is so clean that it is probably a proper response to a bad input.
I know the mods <snip> in posts, but I wasn't sure what they did in titles. I suppose it wouldn't make sense for them to switch to bleeping, though.

That's what tipped me off--the edges are so clean and the spacing/bar width is uniform. Seems too perfect to be a problem.

Meshmesh12

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Thanks for the responses :). It's kinda late now and I have no time to mess with the TV but I'll try the suggestions that you guys give tomorrow. Hopefully it is just a bad cable signal... *finger crossed*

Thanks again!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the responses :). It's kinda late now and I have no time to mess with the TV but I'll try the suggestions that you guys give tomorrow. Hopefully it is just a bad cable signal... *finger crossed*

Thanks again!
I have a feeling your "bad cable signal" is actually just the TV set to the wrong input.

Meshmesh12

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Sorry for the late update, haven't had the time to mess with the TV all week until today. So I tried both my blue ray player through HDMI and my laptop through Vga connector and both of them are messed up just like the cable (although I pretty much should've know because when I start the TV it usually takes one second to get the signal and even before the signal gained the TV already have the vertical lines)... so I'm guessing it has to be the TV itself?

Here's a pic I took of the laptop connection. It looks just like the first posts' picture. The right side half is correct, while the left side half is a mess. 1st and 3rd vertical line is green tinted and also has... is it ghosting effect? there are image residue from whatever image was shown a few frames back, 2nd vertical line is actually in correct, while 4th vertical line is yellow tinted but there are no ghosting effect.

Should I try the youtube link that was given by luvv then? I actually don't mind messing with the TV :p, I see it as a better alternative then having to get my cousin help me move the TV to a store to get it fixed for... don't know how much but I'm guessing it's going to cost a couple hundred bucks?...

oh and DerStrom I did do the bleep my self :p, I was still miffed at my broken TV but don't want to use profanity either so I self-censored... lol xD

Attachments

Last edited:

DMahalko

Joined Oct 5, 2008
I see red, green, blue present in all the odd-looking areas so the pixel driver circuits are working.

The weird pixelation is probably due to bad memory in the onboard image processor that tries to "clean up" the digital image data before display.

If you have a way to choose "Game mode" you might be able to turn off the image processor. Also using VGA rather than HDMI often disables the image processor.

But yes, it's got a problem, and it'll probably cost more to fix than replace.