Is my charger damaged?

Taylor Moffitt

Joined Dec 19, 2015
My friend plugged a 5V 1.5A charger into one of my tablets which uses 5V 1.8A (or 2A, I can't remember). It was only plugged in for about 10-15 seconds before I saw and told him to unplug it. I know that plugging a charger into a device that draws more power than the charger outputs, can damage the charger, and that a damaged charger can damage your device.

Is it likely that he damaged the charger even after having it plugged in for just a brief moment? I don't want to cause even the slightest damage my phones battery next time I charge it.

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
My friend charged his 30,000 mAh huge battery bank (needs 2A charging) but he charged the bank with ordinary 0.7A charger supply and eventually he melt down two chargers supply.

I found the chargers' power supply's output voltage is dependent to load current, same as in linear transformer's output voltage vs current. So adding a huge load would drop the output voltage very low and produce excessive heat.

Also ordinary charger supply has a 1A output rectifier which may burn with 2A load.