Is memory inherited?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This is in reference to strantor's post on memory.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=81807

Is memory inherited? I say it is. I think that instinct is a case of inherited memory. Human beings must be taught to walk yet a colt can walk from the moment it is born. I think this is at least some proof.

I remember going for one of my first job interviews in electronics. I entered this building and got into an old elevator. The type where you have to close the door on your own. I had an odd feeling that I had been there before, but when I hit the wrong button and accidentally went into the basement, the feeling became very strong.

On return home, I told my father about my interview. He asked me about the building because he used to live in that area. When I told him, he told me he had purchased his first car in that building. Chances are he had to go to the basement to accept delivery. A delivery of your first new car, especially after the fact that my father grew up in the depression had to leave a strong emotional impression on him. I just wonder if he was able to pass that memory on to me.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'd have to say no. Memories are formed and retained deep within a person's brain. They are not stored in his DNA.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I saw a documentary about crows. They had people with very distinctive, but human, rubber masks on that made threatening movements and gestures toward the crows. The crows began to respond to the masked people even without the threatening movements and gestures. Then, the researchers stopped appearing to the crows, the crows had offspring, and the people in masks appeared without threats to the young crows. They reacted as if they remembered being threatened.

Some of the researchers concluded that it was proof of genetic memory. I think that the threat was communicated from the parents to the offspring in ways that were not observable.

Experiences such as the one spinnaker described are often attributed to genetic memory, but also to mental telepathy, and to reincarnation. I have had them, but I think it was just a trick of the mind, sort of like the tendancy for people to see faces in the clouds, burned toast, schriveled fruit, and on Mars. The mind craves familiar things, and sometimes creates them.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have often wondered in reincarnation is not actually genetic memory. There are people that are able to recount specific details of an event long before they were born, while under hypnosis.

Some say this is proof of reincarnation. But I wonder if anyone has every researched the family history of these people to see if there is any family connection to past events.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Memories no, instincts yes. There are genes that control our fight or flight, rage, control, compassion, etc... These can be built upon by experience but you are born with certain instincts and behaviors that are genetic.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Some Human memory is stored Genetically however Humans either no longer have as much Genetic Memory or can no longer access it. We do rely upon our subconscious mind to record every bit of data our senses detect and then our left and right hemispheres battle over the right to garnish and apply such data.
As example...you are walking on the beach and a woman is reading a paperback book. Your conscious mind is not aware what the typed wording on the open pages of the book are or apply to...but the subconscious does as out of the corner of your eye it seees what the pages say.
One day you consciously experience something that gives you the feeling you either know something about the subject or effect but cannot pinpoint it. Later in a dream...the subconscious mind attempts to lay it out for you.
The same thing happens when you have the same feeling but this is because the event or issue applies to a Genetic Memory.
Split Infinity

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I don't quite know about genetic memory, but yes their is a gene that would make your memory bettor or worse. Theirs genes that control everything about us. But those are just trends that can't be unlearned or trained on. As for what the OP is saying about an actual memory no, but heres the a good point on genetic instincts. Snakes on a island that has never had snakes. The birds are wiped out because they have no idea what a snake is . In evolution the birds that evolved with snakes did so by when they were attacked, the ones that frequently got away bread more seasons and had more offspring with that gene. So thus after a million years land birds had an instinct against snakes knowing they were dangerous. Island birds with no snakes now don't have that specialized fight or flight gene. I think thats as about as much genetic memory that exists. About the colt walking, yes but thats on 4 legs, when were babies we pretty much walk on all 4's too. Granted were highly evolved so we need our parents much longer before we even attempt it, but when we were monkeys we didn't.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
There are many basic Human insticts that are complex enough to be considered a Genetic Memory. As example...the behavior of an Alpha Male...basic pair bonding rituals...associatative flight/fight responses...etc.
Split Infinity

What would be interesting is if it might be possible for certain sensitive individuals to access memories from alternate versions of themselves in a Multiversal System. Since all Matter is comprised of Quantum Particle/Wave Forms and some such as Quarks which exist numerically at will at and between a minimum and maximum within Protons and Neutrons...as well as Blink in and Out of our Universal Existence...such Quarks might be transfering to Protons and Neutrons in another Divergent Universal State within our Multiversal Group which is infinite and number but that group of Divergent Universal States having the same natural laws. Such a transfer may allow stored Quantum Data to be accessed by a person of sensitive nature allowing them to access memories of their alternates in which such memories are not bound to Linear Time. Thus...Timmy falls down a well and dies and this is in the newspaper in one Universal State. A person who is sensitive existing at a time prior to Timmy dying maybe able to access memories from another Divergent Universal Reality where such memories detail where Timmy is and died PRIOR to Timmy's death.
Split Infinity