Is it possible ??

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by macca1969, Jul 31, 2008.

1. macca1969

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    I'm proposing to install low voltage lighting into the kick-boards at the base of my kitchen cupboards! They are 12v powered down from 240v via a transformer. The question Iam asking is, can I spur down from a fluorescent lighting circuit that is situated beneath my wall mounted cupboards to a socket in which my transformer can be plugged into (situated within a floor cupboard). The outcome I'm hoping for is that when I switch the main kitchen lights on the feed from the cupboard fluorescents feeds the socket in which the transformer is plugged to power up the new kickboard lighting !!!!

Cheers Macca:confused:

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Well, you can do it if you are not going to draw large currents from the lights switch but it is against the electrical installation laws to do this.

3. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    What is meant by "spur down?" Do you propose to run an exposed cable from the existing lighting?

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    There's something in the electrical code about the minimum height allowed from the floor for electrical outlets - I don't know what it is offhand, and I'm not an electrician.

However, putting an outlet near the floor in a kitchen would be a very bad idea. If the area were to become flooded, it would present a shock hazard. You could get shocked just by mopping the floor!

I suggest that you consult an electrician.