Is it possible to use curve optimizer in FREE version of orcad 16.6?

fahim.eee2k13

Joined Aug 8, 2015
I am using FREE version of orcad 16.6. I tried to use curve fitter from PSpice advanced analysis section, for a simple RL circuit driven by a VSIN source. But whenever I try to use curve fitter, I find no parameters to vary. No circuit component is shown there in the select parameters option; although that circuit got two of them( R and L, to vary). Is it something to do with the FREE version? Or am I turning the wrong stone?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
it's simulation. it optimizes values of circuit components, to satisfy a specific curve.
Well any optimization process has to have a "cost" function to analyze. How would you specify such a function for an RL circuit? I guess I'm asking in what sense are particular values of R & L optimal?

fahim.eee2k13

Joined Aug 8, 2015
Well any optimization process has to have a "cost" function to analyze. How would you specify such a function for an RL circuit? I guess I'm asking in what sense are particular values of R & L optimal?
say I get a curve showing time varying voltage across the resistor, and it's a sine curve, amplitude is, say 4 volts. but I want amplitude to be like 9 volts. so I upload the 9 volt amplitude curve information to pspice, using. csv or. txt files. then pspice optimizes the other two, say capacitor and inductor values to a specific value, for which, the voltage across resistor is 9 volt amplitude sine curve. and those two values are what I need, for example.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It seems to me like a novel concept in circuit design. What makes you think the output depends only on the values of the components? How about the forcing function? What happens if the waveform you ask for is not realizable with the given circuit? What happens if the solution is not unique?

mvaseem

Joined Jan 31, 2014
The Pspice optimizer comes under Advanced Analysis bundle. Curve fit does things pretty well.
In my opinion - for Lite version, you won't be able to use it for large designs. Lite version may only be supporting 1 goal and 2 params max to optimize. Only full version of the tool would be accepting more number of params to optimize.