Is it possible to use a buck converter as booster (with a transformer)?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by takao21203, Mar 26, 2013.

1. takao21203

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    This is one idea I have but I am not really sure about it.

Since I have very small ferrite transformers here I want to try it eventually.

The primary has a few turns. The secondary has much thinner wire.

Is it possible to build it as buck converter, with a PNP transistor, but then generate a higher voltage from the secondary winding?

What is the schematic for that? OK simple, I know buck converter, but isn't it correct it is used in continuous mode and no capacitor is charged from the primary inductance?

Would this be a proper circuit?

Or should I simply use a booster circuit + NPN?

I am just curious to do more experiments, using small transformers now or coils, even ringcores. To learn more about it, I do not need to build anything for a specific purpose.

Also a picture from the transformer. It is not a photo Flash transformer, but the secondary has much more windings than the primary.

Also want to try it with a LNK IC eventually. It is not a transformerless supply! Maybe the transformer will just explode, but maybe will work just fine.

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Buck would not bee very useful, as the inductor feeds the output capacitor directly. Boost however is basically the same topology as a flyback. See smps.us/topologies.html for comparison.

3. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Yes I know but what if I don't use a capacitor, short the inductor to ground, and remove energy via the secondary winding?

I was thinking as long as the pulses are short enough so the primary does not saturate, I could get away with that.

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    That's basically a flyback converter, as kubeek stated.

5. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Yes I understand that somehow, even if I am of course still learning about these circuits.

My question is if I could use a PNP for a flyback? Or does it even make any difference?

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    It's not typically done but you could if you used it as a high side switch driving the grounded primary. Normally the low side is switched since NPN's or N-MOSFETS have higher gain, are somewhat faster, and it's easier to drive a low-side switch.