Is it possible to rewire Denon DRA-295 from 110V to 220V? Pics attached.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by drabina, Jan 18, 2010.

1. drabina

drabina Thread Starter Member

I have US version of Denon DRA-295 stereo receiver. Soon I will be moving back to Europe and would like to know if this receiver can be rewired for 220V. Here are the pictures of the transformer:

pic 1
    pic 2
    pic 3
    pic 4
    pic 5
    pic 6
    pic 7
    pic 8

Thanks.
  2. bertus

bertus Administrator Staff Member

Hello,

Do you have the schematic of this amplifier?
    In the schematics there should be more info on it.

Greetings,
    Bertus
  3. drabina

No, I do not have the schematics. I have to go by pictures only unless somebody knows where I could download schematic for my receiver.
  4. retched

retched AAC Fanatic!

5. drabina

I rather rewire this one or find one that I can rewire. Somehow, I do not like the extra box next to the receiver. I used one that supported 1600W and it was humming like crazy. Sure 1600W is overkill for 100W receiver but the one you linked to will probably be too small anyway.
  6. retched

retched AAC Fanatic!

True, one transformer would be better than two. (one on the wall and one in the receiver) But, the amount of EMF put out by that 1600w converter would give you tons of hum.
    If you used a properly rated wall converter for the job, you should have considerably less, if any hum. You could also get a 50hz noise suppressor and clip it on the power line from the wall to the receiver. That would kill it. Also, get one for audio that contains shielding.

then again, re-transformering (if thats a word) is starting to sound better.

Audioguru, any suggestions?

[ed]
    These handle from 100 to 5000 watts: (the 200w is $9.99us)
    http://www.220-electronics.com/Transformers/trans/stepdown.htm
    [/ed]
  7. drabina

Thanks to all who replied.

I have one more question: When using the transformer (220V->110V) vs properly rated receiver (220V) is the power consumption higher, lower or the same? I am just curious.
  8. peranders

peranders Active Member

It seems that the transformer has only two wires at the primary side which means only one voltage also. Sorry.