Is it possible to do this with LM385 fixed voltage reference diode

synaptic knob

Joined Jun 6, 2016
Hi,

I have two LM385 2.5v voltage reference diodes lying around. Before actually trying to do, I thought it would be a better idea to ask more knowledgeable & experienced members on the forum.

So the question is:
Is it possible to join the outputs(A & B) of the two separate LM385 2.5v diodes to get a 5v reference voltage like the figure below?

IMG_20160624_232146.jpg

I would highly appreciate member's advice, please looking forward to hear from the AAC forum members & moderators.

Thanks and regards
San

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Hi,

I have two LM385 2.5v voltage reference diodes lying around. Before actually trying to do, I thought it would be a better idea to ask more knowledgeable & experienced members on the forum.

So the question is:
Is it possible to join the outputs(A & B) of the two separate LM385 2.5v diodes to get a 5v reference voltage like the figure below?

View attachment 108246

I would highly appreciate member's advice, please looking forward to hear from the AAC forum members & moderators.

Thanks and regards
San
No. The outputs are in parallel so your output will be 2.5 volts.

If you want a 5 volts reference, connect supply + to a current limiting resistor, then connect the free end of the resistor to the cathode of one of the LM385s, its anode to the cathode of the next LM385, and that LM385's anode to supply negative (ground). Take the 5 volt output from the junction of the resistor and the LM385.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi,

So the question is:

View attachment 108246

Thanks and regards
San
Two Zeners/reference diodes in parallel will give you voltage equal to the lowest rated voltage. Series adds the respective voltages.

My old favourite is the TL431 programmable Zener that you can adjust to what voltage you need - but its only as accurate as you can adjust it, and probably not as stable as your fixed reference device.

synaptic knob

Joined Jun 6, 2016
First of all I am extremely sorry for the delayed response as I was out of station.

I tried to wire LM385 2.5v in series and yes it works and now I am getting 5v.

Thanks to joeyd999, ian field & special thanks to EM FIELDS for describing and making things very clear to me.

Thanks again to the respected members of the forum for your guidance & I request you all to please keep up the good work as it means a lot for people like me.

myntath

Joined Jun 26, 2016
You should probably decrease the resistor value a little. As it is limiting current just a little too much when there are two zeners in series.

4V / 221kOhms = 18 uA - datasheet suggests a minimum of 20uA

The example in the data sheet with one zener (where I assume you took the resistor value from) has a current of 30uA. So perhaps aim for the same. A 120kOhm resistor should be about right.