Is it possible to construct a simple vibration source in laboratory?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by twomilimeter, Dec 27, 2009.

1. twomilimeter

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I did several vibration tests on a electrical machine before using PCB accelerometer and Agilent 35670A. However, the results are not consistent. I really wish to find out the reasons of the inconsistency. Is my measurement approach is wrong? Or, something wrong with the mechanical setup?

To help me troubleshooting my problem, I wish to have a vibration source, which will give constant output (e.g. consistent vibration peak magnitude and frequency). Is it possible to create a simple one in laboratory?

Thanks

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    There is always an electric motor with an out of balance mass on the shaft.

3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Glue a (light) weight to a speaker driver (speaker cone) then drive it with your lab signal generator with the waveform you desire.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Vibrators on pagers are tiny electric motors with an offset weight, similar to what beenthere suggested. You could do the same on a large scale. Measure the speed, if you can match the speed you can repeat the experiment with a high degree of precision.

5. steinar96

Apr 18, 2009
    Take a large washing machine, open it. Remove the large stone weight. Close it and turn it on. Now thats a vibration source :D. Be carefull though, the washing machine might try to run away.

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    He may only wish to vibrate an experiment and not the whole building.