Is it me or my computer

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey guys. This is my first post. I like to know what would you do if you were in my shoe?
The thing is that I have been trying to simulate a circuit which I want to build. So I got all the necessary software's like LT spice, Cadence Orcad, NI Multisim, from 8 to 10 , eagle and every thing that is out there. After a thorough check I liked Orcad and Multisim, eagle isn't bad too.
Here's is the problem...I just can't seem to simulate a single 555 timer circuit.
I can draw the circuit but the darn thing won't simulate. Every software is saying that it needs a power source. I tried the sample 555 timer circuit that came with EWB 8. Even that gives power source error..
So I though may be I'm having a windows 7 problem, and I tried a fresh XP installation in another PC and ran the same circuit. Still the same error.
I have installed win XP, Vista and Win 7 in 2 seperate machines....all fresh but still cannot simulate.
Then I took my file to a friend's PC, he has EWB 8. I ran the circuit and even buitlt a new one and guess what, they ran flawlessly. So I saved that same circuit, came back and tried with the same software and zip......power source error:mad: I mean....what gives?
And lastly I thought may be I'm having a chipset problem. Now I have a RD RAM PC in my work shop, ya i know RD ( OLD) but fast. and reliable.
and another gigabyte GMAX series cube PC. Now these have different chipsets.
I installed XP to one of them and got the error
I Installed XP in to the cube and got the same error.

I am telling you that the file which simulated perfectly in EWB 8 multisim in XP in my friends house did not simulate in the 4 different PC's that I had. :eek:

What in god's name is wrong.?????? do u have any idea?
Please
Thanks

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What version of ewb is it?
Is it the freeware version?
Are the requirements OK?
I do not know the software but some require the .net extentions to work.

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I wasn't aware of the .net extentions. XP will update itself forever after a new install, that is on of the things that get updated.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Hey guys.
Then I took my file to a friend's PC, he has EWB 8. I ran the circuit and even buitlt a new one and guess what, they ran flawlessly. So I saved that same circuit, came back and tried with the same software and zip......power source error:mad: I mean....what gives?
Thanks
What version of windows does your friend have.
Also check and see all the program setups he has on his EWB 8.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
thanks for the concern guys.
You won't believe what the problem was. believe it or not, the problem is genuine windows.
Yep!! I have both XP and Vista which I bought and have been using like for ever.
My friend came and he brought a pirated XP and viola, the @%@^ thing simulated, like I mean everything worked.
So...i donno what to say. Me being against pirated software and now I have to use a pirated XP to earn my income. guess the irony in that.
PS. I tried the latest Win 7 also....didn't work.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Is there a requirement list with EWB 8 delivered?
In this list you can see what opereting system is required, what service pack, how many memory etc.

Greetings,
Bertus

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi.
..." I tried the sample 555 timer circuit that came with EWB 8. Even that gives power source error..."

Attach a ground symbol to the negative pole node/rail of your circuit/supply and retry.
Miguel

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Requirements is no big deal
you can see my workstation specs and below is the error
The above circuit is the one I just simulated using a pirated windows XP SP3 in my cube PC, it has 1 GB ram and 256MB VGA and a SIS chipset. I can now work on the cube with multisim 10. ( orcad is yet to try)
But when I try the same file on my workstation which is more powerful one as u can see it gives the stupid error. This is ASUS mobo with intel chipset.
So what do you think is the problem
IC the jpeg is not clear. the second one shows my 2 monitors screen print. u can see the error.it says " no power source"
that same file is running on the cube.
Is there any work around for this problem?

Last edited: