Is it a mosfet?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mongoose_88, Feb 14, 2015.

1. mongoose_88

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 14, 2015
    How can I tell if I have a mosfet amp?
    I bought a Sony XM-554ZR OFF EBAY & it was advertised "mosfet" but it's not on the amp or manual anywhere.

2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    They really said that Technical Features : MOSFET Circuitry, Sony XM-554ZR OFF EBAY.
    But how did you know there are no any mosfets, did you open the case to check, and how about the ID numbers of the components?

3. mongoose_88

Feb 14, 2015
    I don't know for sure. I have bought several amps in the past & mosfet was wrote on the amp or at least in the manual, but not this one & I wante to make sure before I cont the seller because that's why I bought it was because it was advertised mosfet, so soon as I got it that's what I looked for first but don't see it so I was hoping someone could give me an easy way to tell

4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    You could ask the seller first and another way is that you open the case to check the ID of components.

5. mongoose_88

Feb 14, 2015
    I'll open it but what am I looking for? How can I tell? I don't know what to look for.

6. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Check all three pins components and write down their part numbers.

7. mongoose_88

Feb 14, 2015
    I don't know what 3 pins I'm looking for. I know how to hook them up & make them boom I just don't know the components inside it at all. I'm gonna need guided on what exactly i need to look for. Sorry I just don't know

8. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    You just using google and select the images of menu and google transistor and google mosfet then you will find a lots of the shape of transistors and mosfets.

9. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Why are you concerned about whether it's MOSFET or not?
    The quality of the amplifier sound depends upon good design, not whether the transistors are MOSFET or bipolar.

#12, wayneh, shortbus and 2 others like this.
  10. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Doesn't that (sound) depend on oxygen free copper speaker cables? Or was it a certain brand of capacitor? Or the free range aluminum in the units case? :)

cmartinez likes this.
  11. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm guessing the real concern is whether it's a class D amplifier or not, and this has been conflated with being a "MOSFET" amp.

A small transformer for the power rating is a tell-tale sign of class D.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Hey, my car doesn't say, "automatic transmission" on the side, but it has one.
    Apparently the audiophools have decided that mosfets are cool this year. Lucky because all large car amplifiers are class D mosfet switchers as far as I know.

13. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I think home audio is almost all Class D now as well. Big transformers were expensive. Of course some "audiophiles" want to see a big heavy transformer alongside their tubes. :rolleyes:

14. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    shortbus likes this.