Is building a computer for a first year project feasible?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Could just as well try an Intel 4004 equivalent. Neither of them will run Windows as the OP wants to.

Bob
Ah. Good point. I forgot the Windows requirement. Windows 3.1? I need to check the wiki. Never mind. It needs 286.

Maybe Windows 1 then.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I just want to point out that, in post #22 I explicitly said there was an error in the thread of the title. It is not a first year project, it will amount to three years of research, trouble shooting minor projects, digesting knowledge and conceiving insight from the professors, and now funds have been mentioned it will be coming out of my own money (no matter what the cost). This is what I said, I always plan a few years in advance.

For the record, I don't think I've made myself very clear. I will not be designing my own Intel chip. I will design my own external circuitry around some breed of superior chip that will be central to the system. Because I'm not electronic by nature, I will refer to this chip as a microprocessor.

Having said that, I did claim I want to adopt the primitive approach (floppy disc drive etc), but having read member's replies to a systerm that would have been best suited 30 odd years ago, I've decided to scrap that idea.

I think it will be a lot better suited if it is up-to-date with today's technology. But again, having said that, my confidence can make me look like an idiot at times. So I assure you, I will submit to defeat when this happens. But for some reason, I just feel like I can pull this off.

Regards.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If you want to build a motherboard for an existing, modern microprocessor chip that can run Windows, (i.e. Intel or AMD), then your learnings will be the following:

1. Integration of the various chips needed to complete a system.
2. (And far the more difficult) high frequency, high complexity PCB design.

It these are what you expect to get out of it, go for it. It's not what I would choose to learn.

Bob

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I just want to point out that, in post #22 I explicitly said there was an error in the thread of the title. It is not a first year project, it will amount to three years of research, trouble shooting minor projects, digesting knowledge and conceiving insight from the professors, and now funds have been mentioned it will be coming out of my own money (no matter what the cost). This is what I said, I always plan a few years in advance.

For the record, I don't think I've made myself very clear. I will not be designing my own Intel chip. I will design my own external circuitry around some breed of superior chip that will be central to the system. Because I'm not electronic by nature, I will refer to this chip as a microprocessor.

Having said that, I did claim I want to adopt the primitive approach (floppy disc drive etc), but having read member's replies to a systerm that would have been best suited 30 odd years ago, I've decided to scrap that idea.

I think it will be a lot better suited if it is up-to-date with today's technology. But again, having said that, my confidence can make me look like an idiot at times. So I assure you, I will submit to defeat when this happens. But for some reason, I just feel like I can pull this off.

Regards.
Suddenly, you are talking linux on an embedded device, running android and some cool app. Sounds a bit more current than a floppy.