Is background music and nosie on TV too loud today?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Jan 6, 2014.

Is background music and noise too loud on today's TV shows?

1. I think background music is too loud!

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. The background music is fine. Get a hearing aide!

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    The recent Pay TV thread made me think about this subject. It sounds like with Pay TV at least a lot of forum members from various places get American TV.

I love most of the CBS programming. Person of Interest is awesome. I think one of the best dramas ever. But I can't hear the lousy dialog on the shows because the background music is too darn loud. It is annoying and distracting. At first I thought it was just me. Maybe just getting too old. Then I did a search. Apprenetly I am not the only one. What do others here think?

If you think background music is too loud, I encourage you to leave feedback. Here is the link for CBS.

http://www.cbs.com/feedback

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    It may be the settings on your surround sound system or TV. If you have an AV receiver,
    - make sure all of your speakers are working (most dialog comes from the front center speaker if you have one).
    - if you don't have a center speaker make sure your receiver knows that and directs the dialog to the other front speakers. ( use speaker setup on receiver)
    - if everything is setup correctly and the background is still too loud, adjust he Attenuation from OFF (most ambient noise/most background music), day, night and midnight (most attenuation of background noises (quietest background noises).

If you don't have an AV receiver for your TV, then adjust the audio settings on the TV...
    Under "menu"/"audio" maximize the mid-range and reduce the higher and lower frequencies. Or, if a graphic eq feature is not available, select the "dialog" or "voice" sound field instead of "movie" or "cinema"

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Gopher, when did you turn into a users manual? :D

I don't have all that stuff, but I have a massive stereo that the TV is hooked up to, and that includes a graphic equalizer which I have set to increase the 300Hz to 3000Hz range. Still, I struggle with some TV shows, especially when the people have British accents and the background music is about equal in amplitude to the voices.

4. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    I thought it was this year, when commercials were supposed to be the same volume, as regular TV channels?

Brownout likes this.
  5. rogs

Aug 28, 2009
    I don't find that too much of a problem. Can't imagine why?...:)

Having said that, it's early US TV series that often have the easiest dialogue to listen to and understand - especially if you don't have perfect hearing like most youngsters do....
    The dialogue recording for famous US series - like Columbo and Quincy for example - have highly compressed and mid range enhanced audio for speech, and use background music with the frequency range extended about an octave higher and lower than the speech.
    But the music was mixed in at a lower level: (usually between -6dB and -12dB lower).
    Makes the dialogue easier to hear.

OK, not very 'hi-fi' by today's standards, but it still works well for us older folk, with less than perfect hearing!

6. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I am using XBMC. They have their own Audio driver. I am going to have to post there to see if there is something that can be done.

I don't have a fancy system. Just the normal TV. I did already boost the highs. It seemed to help a bit but I still think background music is too loud. And it really is superfluous anyway.

7. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    They up the backround music to mask the lack of good dialog in the shows. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Metalmann and inwo like this.
  8. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I dont really have any issues with the background music but then I do run my surround sound past my equalizer first so I can adjust things to my liking.

After that I can also set my center speakers to a volume that works best.

Now if I could just adjust the quality of the shows. :(

9. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Have you considered hearing aids? I use them and can't hear s**t without 'em.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No. I'm not going to buy hearing aids for a couple of TV shows.
    I am also not going to take a 4 hour pill to stop me from sneezing twice on cold mornings.

Seriously, My stereo can get to 123 db. If average sound content is 10db below the peaks, that can put 113 db in my living room. If you need hearing aids for that, you must have the lifetime audio experience of Keith Richards.

Turning up the loudness does nothing to the signal to noise ratio.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  11. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Background is way too loud on some shows. British, Scottish accents are hard for me to hear/understand. They would probably say the same about understanding me, Hillbilly has several dialects also..:D:D

shortbus and #12 like this.
  12. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    Sometimes......the canned laughter, and music; is way too loud for the dialog.

If you can call TV dialog, worthy.

Must be a million worthless cop shows, every season.

13. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    It is because they are encoded for Dolby 5.1 or whatever the new surround sound protocol is.

If you play the sound on the stereo AV out connectors in stereo the speech is too low and the music and sound effects are too loud.

It's a well known problem but the networks just don't care, if you don't have a "proper" 5 speaker surround sound system their opinion is that it is "your problem".

#12 likes this.