Is a Peripheral Deviceand I/O Device the same?

nanobyte

Joined May 26, 2004
Can someone tell me what's the different between a Peripheral Device and an I/O Device. From my understanding a peripheral device is any external hardware that expands on the functionality of a computer. Isn't a I/O Device the same thing?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I would have to see the name I/O device in context. Typically, when I hear I/O device I think of a device that is responsible for purely I/O functionality, for example a DMA controller.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The I/O device is closer to the computer. Look at the USB port. The internal support for the port is the I/o device, while anything that the USB cable connects to the computer is a peripheral device.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Since the inputs they send to the computer have to pass through the USB port, they are all peripherals. A USB printer is also a peripheral device.

jjimenez01

Joined Dec 8, 2006
Hi beenthere,
so a USB joystick/USB Mouse/USB Keyboard are peripheral device or input device ?
Those devices that you mentioned are all peripheral devices that are ALSO input devices. A peripheral device can, of course, also take the form of an output device such as printers and monitors. Although some monitors can act as both input and output devices.