Is a Peripheral Deviceand I/O Device the same?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nanobyte, Apr 7, 2007.

1. nanobyte

Thread Starter Senior Member

May 26, 2004
    Can someone tell me what's the different between a Peripheral Device and an I/O Device. From my understanding a peripheral device is any external hardware that expands on the functionality of a computer. Isn't a I/O Device the same thing?

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I would have to see the name I/O device in context. Typically, when I hear I/O device I think of a device that is responsible for purely I/O functionality, for example a DMA controller.

Dave

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The I/O device is closer to the computer. Look at the USB port. The internal support for the port is the I/o device, while anything that the USB cable connects to the computer is a peripheral device.

4. bbk.wgl

Mar 21, 2007
    Hi beenthere,
    so a USB joystick/USB Mouse/USB Keyboard are peripheral device or input device ?

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Since the inputs they send to the computer have to pass through the USB port, they are all peripherals. A USB printer is also a peripheral device.

6. jjimenez01

Dec 8, 2006
    Those devices that you mentioned are all peripheral devices that are ALSO input devices. A peripheral device can, of course, also take the form of an output device such as printers and monitors. Although some monitors can act as both input and output devices.

7. bbk.wgl

Mar 21, 2007
    I get it, thanks :)