IRL class discussion about the future of microcontroller architecture

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by sbombs, Mar 22, 2010.

1. sbombs

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2010
    In my inbox this morning was some article from one of the trade rags. On a lark, I decided to send it to my microcontroller students, in hopes of stimulating some discussion. I am particularly hoping they'll notice the following:

• The author's employer
    • Some pros and cons of various low-end uC's
    • ??? who knows what else
    In addition, I am hoping they explore/discover this and the various other trade rags.

What say you folks? My original email including the Article, and a link to the original article follows.

• PHB - Pointy Haired Boss
    • uC - microcontroller

2. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Its true even in full sized computers. Were running dual core CPU's with 4 GPU's tied together on our desktops, but thin clients, and netbooks are still selling great with 1.6ghz cpu's. As 32bit chips replace traditional 8bit chips, we will probably see a new package 8 bit UC's that could be ultra small beyond SMT small. For instance right now I'm working on a project with a friend that could use a uc as small as pellet. I don't know of one that exists but if it did I would have a use for it immediately.

3. sbombs

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2010
    How about an ATtiny10?
    And I think the author was trying to say that 8bit uCs aren't going away any time soon. Which I happen to agree with.