IRFD9120 Test Circuit

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have been given a single IRFD9120 to use to switch a 35mA load that is a small tracking unit. Before I build or try to build the circuit I want to test the P cannel Mosfet.

As I only have 1 I want to make sure I have the right test circuit. From there I can build the final circuit. Could it be checked and I will be only to happy for any advice

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
nope, you have the mosfet backwards. See that little diode drawn inside the mosfet? That really is present inside, and would conduct regardless of what is on the gate of the mosfet.
Also the resistor and switch are wrong, the resistor should be connected between source and gate of the mosfet, and the swtich between ground and gate. Also the value of the resistor should be 10-100 times lower.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
nope, you have the mosfet backwards. See that little diode drawn inside the mosfet? That really is present inside, and would conduct regardless of what is on the gate of the mosfet.
Also the resistor and switch are wrong, the resistor should be connected between source and gate of the mosfet, and the swtich between ground and gate. Also the value of the resistor should be 10-100 times lower.
This is a P-Chanel Mosfet?

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012

I have changed the drawing?

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Well that doesn´t really matter where you got it, but you need to connect source to +12V and drain towards the LED, not the other way around.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
no, leave the transistor where it was, but flip it upside down, so that source goes towards the supply voltage and drain towards the diode.