IR to RF project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by systempsycho, Feb 11, 2011.

1. systempsycho

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I am building an IR to RF circuit. I am finishing up the transmitter and now I am going to start on the receiver portion of it.

From what I have found. Many people have used PIC to take the signal from the receiver and modulate it back up to 40 kHz or whatever it needs to be.

Well I don't know a lot about programming PIC, I know they aren't terrible. But I don't have the kit to program them and this is for my senior design. I was wanting to know if anyone out there could think of another way of taking a square wave signal that has..from what the oscilloscope showed...a 90 Hz square wave at 300mV and modulate it back to a 40kHz wave so I can send it to an IR emitter.

I have time to finish this project, but I am just kind of stuck on what would be the best approach to doing this. Much thanks to everyone.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    IR signals are usually modulated onto a 38 KHz carrier. An op amp set up as a mixer might let your 90 Hz modulate the 38 KHz carrier. You might look into how IR remotes work.

Where is the RF part in this?

3. systempsycho

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Oh the RF is the transmitter and receiver portion of it. I am taking the signal and sending it to a transmitter of 418 MHz and a receiver of the same hertz of course.