IR sensor for distance

JK-FlipFlop

Joined Jul 5, 2010
Hi,

I am searching to my Robot assigment at school, IR receiver that need to find distance from IR ball (transmitter), it need to find the ball by his IR frequency 40 KHz, there are other balls that transmit in other frequency and the robot need to seperate them from the 40Khz ball and get it.
The distance measurement value need to be analogic.

I have not found it anywhere in google and other sites, so because you are the pro I need your help to find this particular sensor. or other recomandations,

Thank you.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Ikalogic's design will not give you distance. It may help locate, but probably not very precisely.

Here is a link to a project I have found to be useful: http://users.frii.com/dlc/robotics/projects/botproj.htm

Scroll to the 12C508 project. There are also useful links therein to the Dallas group.

It is very important to note that IR receivers, such as the TSOP series, do not give intensity information. If you plan to use them for distance, then you will have to do triangulation, and that will probably be inaccurate because of the on/off nature of their output. Using slits and so forth may help in that regard.

You can help considerably by defining your project more. What distance do you need to detect? What accuracy? Can you use triangulation? What do you know about the transmitter? Are you allowed to design the transmitter yourself? Can you program a microcontroller? How much design and building experience do you have?

If you feel the response from members is slow, be aware that this type of projects comes up constantly. Typically, it is a school assignment and the original poster (OP) has not even done the most simple search of what is available or looked at the datasheets for the devices he wants to use (such as those mentioned on ikalogic's site).

On the other hand, if you put forth demonstrable effort, you will find the help coming freely and copiously.

John