IR Repeater - Three different circuits but I'm confused on the difference.

RyanD

Joined Jan 14, 2010
So I'm researching IR repeaters and I'm trying to build a basic one. I've found a few examples and I understand what they do but I'm confused at why one is better than the other. Wouldn't the most basic one work fine, why the need to add IC's in the mix? What does the TL594CN add that the 555 does not?

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The first one is the simplest. One mistake is made, there is no current limiting for the leds.

The second one is unclear. It is a drawing how to connect the things, but not a schematic.

The third one is a detector / modulator setup.
The signal is taken by the TSOP wich delivers pulses on its output.
The 555 is used to "remodulate" the signal again.

Greetings,
Bertus

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
One thing that is not addressed in a simple IR repeater similar to the one you have provided in your first example circuit is that often an extraneous source of IR light can interfere with the performance. To help avoid this, the IR transmitter and the IR receiver are AC coupled and then the IR signal is modulated. This improves perfromance in adverse lighting conditions.

hgmjr

RyanD

Joined Jan 14, 2010
That sounds like fun. What is your overall project?

hgmjr
I'm trying to solve a problem. My media rack is off the right of my couch and some of the components are high so I have to get up to use it. I want to build a circuit that I can put near the tv that accepts the ir signal and then repeats it but at a different height and angle so I don't have to get up. :)

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I'm trying to solve a problem. My media rack is off the right of my couch and some of the components are high so I have to get up to use it. I want to build a circuit that I can put near the tv that accepts the ir signal and then repeats it but at a different height and angle so I don't have to get up. :)
You think you could have a problem or the media rack actually does not work properly while you are sitting in the couch?

IR signal detector are so sensitive that IR signal bounces off the wall will work without any difficulty.

RyanD

Joined Jan 14, 2010
You think you could have a problem or the media rack actually does not work properly while you are sitting in the couch?

IR signal detector are so sensitive that IR signal bounces off the wall will work without any difficulty.
It works for the receiver and dvr box but my popcorn hour has a weak IR receiver and you pretty much have to point the remote directly at it.