IR remote controlled stepper-motor help?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Jacob J, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Jacob J

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Hello all

Ive got an idea, wich I hope you could help me out with.

I want to be able to control a stepper-motor by a IR remote control, my idea is to make some sort of rotating tv-stand, so I can rotate my tv by remote control.

I dont have experience with stepper-motors and how they are controlled, so any suggestion is welcomed.

I have no idea how to make the electrical stuff work, but I have thought of how to prevent the motor from turning my tv around in a spin. When the tv reaches its limits, the tv-mount shortens the reseiver circuit for that direction, wich results in a stop of the rotation. The only thing that can be done from there is to push the button, that makes the tv rotate to the other side and so on. Pretty easy to make, but how do I get there? What do I need of controlling and reseiving/sending circuits?

/Jacob

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    You most likely shouldn't use a stepper. You could cut the number of component by an eighth if you go with a geared motor.

Take a look at this:
    http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16034

This is a car window motor. It is easily reversible by switching polarities.

So, your remote need only operate a dpdt switch. One pole for left rotation, and one pole for right.

3. Jacob J

Jun 18, 2009
    Well that is a very good idea! I havnt thought of that.

If I have an old VCR, can I use the IR remote from that and the reciever?

Can you explain a little bit more about the dpdt switch, I have read about it on wiki and think I do understand, but it would be good to have it explained a bit more.

4. Jacob J

Jun 18, 2009