IR reflective or capacitance for this idea?

tomsat

Joined Jun 5, 2006
I've been toying with an idea for a touch or proximity switching circuit(s) for controlling my motorcycle horn, starter, etc. a simple on/off signal to a relay or a module will work but I'm not sure about the following questions:

1. would an IR reflective sensor ignore ambient light changes? and would the passing of a finger or my hand do the trick in both day and nite situations? I'll post a link to one such sensor..IR reflective sensor link HERE

2. I saw a tiny capacitive sensor, round, panel mounted somewhere but can't find it now lol.. would this be better.??. altho it was 60 bucks and the IR reflective ones are typically 2-4 bucks in lots.

3. what associated circuitry is needed to run such sensors in a 12v system such as a bike??

I have a decent background but never did circuit design and would like it to be stable, long-life, vibration resistant.. etc... thanks for ANY responses in advance.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
I'd be more worried about resistance to Moisture and rain and false response because of same if it's on a Motorbike.

TomSD

Joined Jun 6, 2006
1. The sensor will just output depending on the IR light level. The way to ignore the background is to add a pulsing IR LED and a circuit to detect the amplitude of the pulses from the IR detector. When the amplitude of the pulses gets larger, there is something reflective in front of the LED/detector pair. You detect this and use it to switch whatever.

3. You will likely need voltage regulation to power the circuit unless it is designed to work with a wide range of voltages.

tomsat

Joined Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by Gadget@Jun 6 2006, 01:47 AM
I'd be more worried about resistance to Moisture and rain and false response because of same if it's on a Motorbike.
[post=17543]Quoted post[/post]​
Thank you for the input!!!
very true. back to the drawing board (idea board) False response=bad

Another trend is to use micro miniature momentary contact sealed pushbuttons in the handlebars, combined with available modules for the turn signals etc. I can't stand the pricing on these switches.. upwards of 40 bucks apiece. Does anyone have in mind a source for "sealed" tiny switches????

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Ask Tony - at the website you linked to in your first post. He's got tons of stuff crammed into that little warehouse of his. His website is just the tip of the iceburg. I've bought tiny switches from him before - not neccisarily weatherproof ones. Send him an e-mail and explain what you are looking for.