IR Receiver Module, 3.6 volts?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by HarveyH42, Jan 4, 2009.

1. HarveyH42

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I'm getting ready to start a new project, figured I'd ask before getting too far with it. I've got about twenty or so IR receiver modules, most unmarked or house numbered. I've used a few in the past with 5 volts, and approximately 38 Khz, worked fine.

I know these things aren't real picky about the center frequency, was wondering if they work on lower voltage. Been a while since I looked at a data sheet, but don't remember anything about a minimal voltage. I search for some common part numbers, and look them up later.

The project is a proximity/object detector. Hopefully, I can get by with a 3.6 volt rechargeable battery pack, mostly for size considerations. Going to use a ATtiny13 to handle the timing and switching, generate the 38khz IR signal. I want to do sort of a generic PCB, to use for other things later, but for now I just want to activate on of these;
    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SAW-3/SAW-3-DIGITAL-VOICE-RECORDER/1.html
    Works fine on 3.6 volts, 4.8 adds a clicking sound to the output. So basically, if all will work off 3.6 volts, it's small, simple and efficient. If the Receivers absolutely need 5 volts, I'll need to do some voltage conversions, larger battery, wasted power, greater part count...

I'm asking here not for quotes from data sheets, as I don't need to accurately read any codes or data, just detect the presence of the center frequency. Not exactly the intended purpose of the device, so might still be functional, just not perfect or reliably (not to important here). I'm sure it will still come down to stuffing a breadboard, and fiddling with it...

2. HarveyH42

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Just through together the minimal to see if the receiver module functions at 3.6 volts, small cap across the power leads, red led on the output. Used the VCR remote to provide the test signal. Powered up, LED lit, but kind of dim. Does flash when remote buttons are pressed. Seems encouraging. Now the programming of the tiny13, need to see if the signal is readable.