IR Optic swithch

firefli

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I have a drive coil on a permanent magnet motor that I would like to turn off and on with a IR emitter and sensor does anyone know of a simple circuit that would do this and where I mite find it ??
thanx

firefli

Joined Sep 6, 2013
Sorry for the confusion not sure what the right term. is.
Coil= length of wire raped in circles.
Drive= coil placed in close proximity to magnet, that pushes away or attracts the magnet depending on polarity of coil when energized.
hope this helps don't know any other way to describe it

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't quite see that working, it appears to be based on the principle of a BLDC motor commutation? also where does the IR (Infra Red?) sensor come in?
Max.

firefli

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I don't have an IR switch yet. My magnetic switch is what turns the coil off & on.
I would like to replace it with a IR switch. I will place it on both sides of the rotor, and put a hole in the rotor at the appropriate place so the emitter and receiver can see each other. The rotor spins to fast for the mag. switch. The mechanical motion of the mag switch can't open & close fast enough, which is why I want to try a optical switch.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you using your original idea, it could be like this, but it will occurs a power problem, because you can't easy to provide the power for the IR.

If you changing to similar like this then the power providing is not a problem.
There are no any IR parts on the rotor, the rotor only has the hole, and the IR through the hole to transfer the IR light.

Attachments

firefli

Joined Sep 6, 2013
Wow thats it Scott!! Now I just need a circuit to power the IR emitter & receiver.
I have no problem with the mechanical stuff. I need help with the electron stuff. Any ideas on what a circuit mite look like and what parts and pieces do I need?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Do you have any idea for the IR of type?

There are two ways to do the job, the one is using one combined Emitter and Receiver in a package, this kind of package is limited by the thickness of rotor, another way is to using two seperated parts, the one is IR emitter, another is Receiver, this way only limited by the transmission distance of Emitter.

Google : ir sensor circuit, to get the circuit.

Last edited:

firefli

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I think about 1 inch separation would work.
I have gone to google many times, when you don't know what will work best you get lost in all the choices.
Which is why I came here hoping to find guidance for the best choice.
I know I would like the emitter/receiver combo. to be fast, sensitive and work on about 3.7 volts. Do you know anybody here in All About Circuits That can help me?

I made a video of my working motor I will have it on youtube or even here if they allow video i will post a link when I have it.
Thanx

firefli

Joined Sep 6, 2013
I have been looking through the treads mentioned at the bottom of this page,found the following message.
Quote;
Which IR sensor are you talking about? They are made in different ways:
1) IR receiver IC. They are used in home entertainment equipment.
2) IR photo-diode that needs an amplifier. There are two different circuits.
3) IR photo-transistor that has gain but is slow.
4) LDR that is a variable resistor and is extremely slow.

I didn't know there are many different types.
What style would best fit my needs of fast, sensitive and 3.7 volts??
hope you can help.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you want to usig the combo parts, then you can check below.
TCST1000/ TCST2000 - Transmissive Optical Sensor.

If you want to using two seperation parts, then you can check this IR Sensor.

If the 3.7V is the cell battery, then the Vamx is 4.2V.
From 5V to 3.7V, you need to decreasing the values of resistor.