IR Emitter / IR Blaster

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Scott Burns, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Scott Burns

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Can anybody tell me the input voltage of an IR Emitter or IR Blaster with a standard 3.5 mm connector? And, if there are different ratings, where can I go shopping? It seems like a simple enough question, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Thank you very much.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    An IR emitter is a current device and the voltage is not relevant as long as it is above the threshold for the device. Atypical threshold might be in the 1-2 volt range. the current can be anywhere from a few milliamps to nearly and ampere when the device is pulsed. Are you looking at a datasheet for some device?

OK, I see now that an IR Blaster is a complete product. I thought you were talking about an IR LED. I assume you've looked at the user manual and it says nothing.

3. Scott Burns

Apr 9, 2015
    You assume correct.

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    So there is nothing the the way of a drawing of the connector showing the connections on the 3.5mm ploug/socket? We don't have a whole lot to work with here. What makes you think power is delivered through that connector?

5. Scott Burns

Apr 9, 2015
    There is only one connection. It's a 3.5 mm jack.

[​IMG]

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The jack is the thing that the plug goes into. What is on the end of the cable in your picture is a plug.

Looking at the device and looking online I can't tell if the device you have is supposed to be an input device or an output device. There seems to be a convention that if the jack is labeled "IR INPUT" then it is for a device that allows the IR sensor to be outside a cabinet. If the jack is labeled just IR then it is a blaster(emitter) that is used to control another piece of equipment. I don't see any good way of determining voltages used unless you hack a piece of equipment.