IR Emitter and Detector Project

quacksalver

Joined Nov 14, 2009
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the long post--I wanted to provide as much information as possible.

I am new to the site and am in desperate need of circuit design help with a project. I am trying to make a machine more serviceable by adding an infrared emitter and detector. I have very limited knowledge on projects like this (a noob if you will), but am interested in learning. I searched this site for similar projects, but didn’t find anything that met my criteria.

For a little background: I work in an office that has a very expensive (although, somewhat antiquated) piece of machinery that has to be reset two or three times a week. It is located in a room with other pieces of equipment that can be adjusted (with IR remotes) through an interior window. The steps to reset the machine follow: find IT person with key to room, remove from a rack, open access panel, remove jumper from a 2-pin header for a few seconds, reinstall in reverse. This is done with the machine powered on!

I have been given permission to speed up the process. Currently, I am using a normally closed momentary pushbutton switch rated 0.5 amps at 125 VAC connected to the header with a wire lead with no trouble (except the inconvenience of having to gain access to the room). Here are my thoughts for improving the system further with an IR remote:

Infrared emitter box (remote) with normally open momentary pushbutton switch (when depressed, remote will emit a ‘continuous’ signal until released)

Infrared detector that controls a normally closed relay (when triggered by emitter, relay opens and closes with regard to the momentary switch on the emitter and resets the machine)

I would like the emitter and detector to work on 2-AA or 2-AAA batteries if possible (because they are readily available in office). A design using easy to purchase products, e.g. parts from RadioShack or similar, which can be bought in small quantities (onetime build) would be extremely helpful. Also, it should not interfere with other IR receptive equipment in the room (VCRs, DVDRs and closed-circuit security equipment).

I have no experience with IR transmission and have no idea how (or if) this will actually work. I know I’m making it more complicated than it needs to be, but I think it will be an interesting project. I am interested in specifics on how to make this work. I have no idea how to create the “guts” of the emitter or receiver.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! My thoughts are based on very limited knowledge, so please don’t hesitate to correct or enlighten me.

Thanks for reading!

Matt

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
How does this IR activated approach provide any convenience over the momentary switch you have already implemented? You will still need access to the room, will you not?

Do you have a line-of-sight view of the piece of equipment in question?

hgmjr

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
How does this IR activated approach provide any convenience over the momentary switch you have already implemented? You will still need access to the room, will you not?

Do you have a line-of-sight view of the piece of equipment in question?

hgmjr

Form OP's post:
It is located in a room with other pieces of equipment that can be adjusted (with IR remotes) through an interior window.