Ipod Nano (1st Generation) Circuit, Swap standard screen for PC monitor.

NickCrane

Joined Jul 15, 2010
This may sound extremely confusing to you, but please believe me, I am not a crack pot.

For my A level technology project I am going to make a Giant 1.5m to scale Ipod nano. It's all to do with the pop art theme. I think this would be great for night clubs, for you to pick the songs that were next on the playlist.

However I don't know how to attach a big screen instead of the standard built in one. The standard Ipod screen is attached via a electrical ribbon wire, which looks very delicate, how can I possibly attach this and convert it to the 21 inch PC monitor. Is it even possible? If not does anyone know how I can get the gui system of the Ipod onto my PC so it looks realistic ( basically run th ipod system on the computer ) it doesn't have to work but would be nice if it did.

:eek: Thanks,

Nick

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
This is not going to be easy to do, you can not just wire a VGA monitor or even any LCD monitors (even DVI's) directly to an LCD display like that, they are not controlled the same way, or even have the same type of drivers....

B. Morse

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Unless you're an absolute expert on display technology, I don't think that converting the electrical signals would be the way to go.

But you could use a small webcam to look at the iPod screen, then display the webcam image on the large screen. That could possibly work quite well.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Although it's not an iPod Nano, I think the iPod Touch has a TV video output. This would be trivial to then wire to a big screen TV.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yeah, I would go with the TV out version. ;)

You would be better off just using the software and then using a laptop to control the songs, handle the touchscreen, and such.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
If the op uses the version with the TV out, then he can just buy one of those IPOD docks with the Audio and button controls, then all he has to do is connect the IPOD to an LCD TV and hack the dock to get to the buttons to control the volume and playlist/song selection....

B. Morse