Iphone earphone alternative

ggzzlittle

Joined Mar 5, 2014
Hello All just getting into electronics, found digikey first, then arduino then c++ and now im hooked.... here is the issue...

So I am an avid moto rider... found myself in a motorcycle store to see if I could find a cheap alternative to my iphone headphones (the lowest one was 100 dlls!!!) which have the controls and intergrated microphone.. however with gloves and high speeds its a pain to look for the small switch.

I did find a Chinese alternative on ebay, for 16 bucks however digikey got in my way and got really curios about the wonderful world of electronics..

So here is what I found so far...

I found the 3.5 barrel with the audio and microphone connection
30 mm speakers ( I went with these by checking out other headphones avail in the market...

PROBLEM...

Once I hit the button section I never could find anything that resembles a ptt, only words like "mom" on, off etc...

what about the microphone, I did see noise canceling but so many to chose from!!! how do I go about it?

another question, would I need to connect anything else between the wiring from the barrel into the headphones??

any insight on how I may go about this issue?? I really would hate to spend 16 dollars on the Chinese alternative...

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Why not buy the cheapie and go from there once you have the 4 conductor plug wired to a ptt switch and microphone?

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
ps.
There are adapters around (so to speak), that plug into the phone with a 4 conductor plug,
and are just a barrel containing the mic and button, but they provide a normal stereo socket
so you can use whatever headphones you want.

That might be the thing to go chipping into to do a bigger button and moving the microphone.

ggzzlittle

Joined Mar 5, 2014
I dont wanna buy the cheapie first cause it will take 20 + days to get here , who knows on the quality etc. and why not build one with 30 mm speakers...

anyways... yeah I would like to change the ptt button to something more suitable...

move the boom of the mike into the helmet....

just trying to find out if you guys could help tell me what are parts called.. or can it be done with any push button

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
I presume you don't want to hold the button if you don't need to:

or do:

Which looks more like a mute button, to push to talk you'd want to leave the
pictured switch open (non-existent), and switch the mic in to talk.