IP camera

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by praondevou, Oct 2, 2012.

1. praondevou

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    I'm looking for an alternative to off-the-shelf IP cameras. A cheap camera costs about $50 if importing from China, risk of paying import fees included.

A camera module (chip, lens and pcb) could be bought for as low as 7$. Why are these cameras so expensive?

I guess developing one is quite complex. What about using a normal $5 webcam and a mini USB to LAN/WLAN server? Does something like this exist?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. 1 camera is not expensive, thing is I want to buy many more...

Thanks

2. Austin Clark

Dec 28, 2011
    Sorta judging by your post, it seems like you're wanting to hook up and access a lot of cams remotely, like a surveillance system. In which case, you won't be able to have them tethered to a PC, which would be the simplest solution, because it's relatively easy to host it that way. I'm assuming the cost comes from the fact that, in order to work independently, the camera needs a lot of "infrastructure" to connect to the internet and host it's content. That is, it's pretty much it's own computer. How are these types of cameras usually connected? Their own Ethernet connection? Wireless router connection?

3. praondevou

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    The IP cameras I'm talking about can connect via WLAN or LAN to a router. Then via modem to the internet.

Should be fairly easy for someone who knows how to do it. Apart from the camera chip there should be a uC and a WIFI module I guess...

4. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    that seems about an average price for a security camera. they may also include software theat you install on a computer to enable acess to the system from the web. theres also powering them, waranty. though most likley the most expencive parts are the lens, CCD (image sensor), and the wireless adaptor. i have seen in catalogs camers for the older coax based CCTV systems are normally at least $100 USD, though normaly meor in the 300ish range for more durable, night vision models.
    i'm not sure what your trying to secure however i f its something quite important you should'nt conect the camera system to the internet. this is because if you do your security system could be hacked, didabled, then people could enter with no servalance. most securioty systems that you can acces remotly would ether be using a dial up system. using a modem and the phone system you dial in to the server for your cameras. because you don't necesarly want it acesable to the internet.

5. vortmax

Oct 10, 2012
    most of the ip cameras I have *ahem* repaired, were running some form of embedded linux with on board flash memory to act as an image buffer and a broadcom chip for ethernet. Then they just run simple http and ftp servers to serve up the images, with some custom daemons to handle camera motion, tracking, alarming, etc.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Not sure what you are trying to do but...
    You can use a regular USB camera and yawcam software to have a remote camera