ip address

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by chandrasekhar, Nov 24, 2010.

1. chandrasekhar

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    my ip address is 10.21. #. #.when i enter in "whatsmyip" website ,here it shows me "129.123.#.#".how can there be an two different ip address for 1 user. :)
  2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009

I think that the 10.21.x.x address is you local ip adresse, assigned from modem or router. While the 129.123.x.x address is the address your modem or router got assigned from your ISP. It's the modem or routers address whatsmyip can "see".
    chandrasekhar likes this.
  3. AlexR

Jan 16, 2008
    10.X.X.X is one of the private IP addresses. It allows you to set up a private network but the network address is never routed and never advertised over the internet.
    Your router performs network address translation to connect your computer to the internet. All outgoing IP packets use the router IP address as the source, all incoming packets are addressed to the router.
    The router keeps track which incoming packet is destined to which local host and replaces the destination address (its own address) of incoming packets with the appropriate local host private ip address.

So to put it simply the 192.123.x.x address you are seeing is the router link IP address.
    chandrasekhar likes this.