Ionizer VS extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Does using an Air Ionizer do anything? for fumes or chemical vapors? does an Ionizer filter out the solder lead? or chemicals in conformal coating?

Does using a Fume Extractor do anything for chemical vapors? or second hand lead soldering? does it filter out the LEAD? or chemicals in conformal coating?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there are electrostatic air cleaners that clean the air, ionizers are to ionize the air for health purposes. fume extractors use filters and may or may not have elefctrostatic cleaners in them too.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Remember...
with typical soldering temperatures LEAD does not vaporize. (lead is not present in soldering fumes).. The fumes are from flux. Lead is passed/spread by physical contact though and can splash/explode all over..

And there are different levels of "fume extractors"... Some feature little more than a fan..some include a thin carbon pad over a fan.. some full out $$$ HEPA/dust filters.

Ionizers are used more for "static control" than anything else.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
As far as soldering/electronic benches...
For fumes/vapors you use a fume extractor.. Which one you pick depends on numerous factors..
To attempt to mitigate static charges you use an ionizer.. It generates "ions" to attempt to balance/neutralize the air charge.

In "regular" air filters ionizers can be used to generate ions to "attract" dust,etc.. similar to how your hair is pulled towards a statically charged balloon.

A simple internet search should answer all these questions for you.. Complete with fancy pictures/animations,etc...

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Which fume extractor , is for chemical fumes like conformal coatings? or lead soldering?
All of them are to different degrees.
Its like asking which car is for driving.

If I was manually spraying conformal coating I would look into a filtered tabletop spray booth.
If I was intended to automate the process I would find a proper conformal coating machine that would typically include the necessary filtering already.

Since you have provided NO details on your setup/needs/msds sheets/budget,etc... you are on your own now.
Google "soldering fume extraction" and read..
Google "conformal coating fume extraction" and read

Status
Not open for further replies.