Ionics wind generator

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by floomdoggle, Nov 28, 2008.

1. floomdoggle

Thread Starter Senior Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Hello all,
    Ionic is trying to build a wind generator, and wants to know what the output from his 130V motor will be. My best guess is 24VDC. Now anyone who has read anything I have wrote on this forum probably knows I am a moron when it comes to electronics. (I understand I am a member because I am a blowhard sometimes.)
    So, please help him, as others would like to be off the grid also. Myself included.
    My best guess is the size of the wire is the determining factor, along with the strength of the magnets.
    As always, Thank you in advance.
    Dan

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I wouldn't use a motor as a generator to begin with, if I could possibly avoid it.

Something like a heavy duty automotive alternator might be worthy of consideration. They'll produce power over a very wide range of RPM's, and have a built-in regulator and rectifier bridge.

Meanwhile, if he really wants to know how much power he might generate with it at a given RPM, all he has to do is drive his motor with another motor using a pair of stepped pulleys and a V-belt.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    That's funny, when I read the title, I saw "Ionic Wind Generator", which has no moving parts at all, just high voltage. Guess I have a weird sense of humor.

4. floomdoggle

Thread Starter Senior Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Yep, Bill, you definitely have a wired (wierd) sense of humor. Why build a wind generator without great angst?
    Dan

5. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    The particular design I was going to work with is explained here:
    http://www.reuk.co.uk/Chispito-DIY-Wind-Turbine
    as well as other sites on the internet.

The Chispito Wind Turbine Generator is a 100 Watt machine available in kit form in the USA for an incredible $105 (£60) with free delivery! Unfortunately the kits are not available in the UK, but detailed plans are available free of charge online, and the parts required are very easy to source. This wind turbine puts out 14 volts in low (7-10mph winds) at under 300rpm.

I didn't buy the kit as I already had the treadmill motor and some assorted parts, and I'm sure the kit didn't include the piping(ground to generator) or the support wiring.

If 100W is feasible I could easily power all the lighting in my house using my current florescent and LED setups. I was also thinking of augmenting the heating of the water in my hot water heater tank, but that's another project.

Q: Is RPM's and voltage a linear relationship in a motor such as this?

I do plan to test the motor's potential prior to investing any money in it.
    I may also try to get my hands on a used alternator motor for an additional
    source of "JUICE".