Inverter Pulse Voltage

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by noobguitarist, Aug 10, 2010.

1. noobguitarist

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster (hence the recent join date).

I am currently trying to create an inverter which creates a 120Vrms output from a 150V DC input. I have simulated the circuit using PSIM with no problems, and have also done the same with Pspice (using ideal switches, SBreak).

My problem now however, is when I use an actual mosfet model. It seems that I can't just use a 5V pulse to drive the mosfets completely (if that makes sense). I am using IRF640s because they happen to be in close proximity and would work if I happen to ever actually build this, plus they should be more than OK for my needs.

My circuit is quite simple, and I think the problem may be the transformer (in the simulation I attached, I used L1 = 0.01, L2 = 0.008, no real specific reason for these values, just using 10:8).

Operation is pretty much as follows: M1 and M3 are pulsed at 10KHz for half a cycle (5V-10V peak), then it switches to M2 and M4. The bigger the pulse, the bigger the output (so if I simulate 100V pulses, it works ok).

Attached below are the circuit and output with a 10V pulse.

Any help is appreciated,