Inverter DC to AC

janardhana reddy

Joined Sep 11, 2012
I have 12VDC 7Ah Battery
I want a 220AC inverter which can run my small tubu light in emrgency and other low powered devices....I need input of 220ac.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Emergency? Hurricane, forest fire or war?
My electricity is reliable and keeps going and going and going.
A few weeks ago a hurricane came near me but it did not stop the electricity.
There has never been a forest fire or war anywhere near me.

Since you have a little 12V battery then you should buy a 12V compact fluorescent light bulb made for pleasure boats or recreational vehicles.

Here is what I would like to have:
Twelve drummers drumming,
Eleven pipers piping,
Ten lords a-leaping,
Nine ladies dancing,
Eight maids a-milking,
Seven swans a-swimming,
Six geese a-laying,
Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree!

RamaD

Joined Dec 4, 2009
I have 12VDC 7Ah Battery
I want a 220AC inverter which can run my small tubu light in emrgency and other low powered devices....I need input of 220ac.
In India, I am sad to say we do not have such extavaganzas as reliable electricity!
Quite a bit of India has regular scheduled power outages for want of installed power capacity, even for more than 12 hours/day, yes, per day, in villages.
The cheap alternative could be to get a small PC-UPS, which could run a tubelight for just about an hour!

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
This website is messed up today so I can't do a proper Quote.

Quote: "In India, I am sad to say we do not have such extavaganzas as reliable electricity! Quite a bit of India has regular scheduled power outages for want of installed power capacity."

In my part of Canada we had generators installed at Niagara Falls more than 100 years ago. Niagara Falls keeps flowing but then we installed nuclear generating stations to keep up with the increased electricity demand. It was planned properly to work and it does. I think India bought some Canadian nuclear generating stations.

I don't know why India today does not have enough electricity.

We have an electricity blackout maybe one time every 10 years and we cheer about the darkness everywhere at night. Then they fix whatever has broken and it works well for another 10 years.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The electricity, telephone and cable TV/Internet wires in my neighbourhood are underground where they are not seen.
Water, sewer and natural gas pipes are also underground.

Outdoor TV antennas are not allowed but a few people have the new ones for digital TV that are very small.

Bill, I faintly remember having a few trips in a Super Connie a long time ago.

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Bill, I faintly remember having a few trips in a Super Connie a long time ago.

My experience in them was flying as an in-flight technician doing repair on any of the electronic systems, ie communications, navigation, and radar. Our mission was the Pacific extension of the Dew Line. Flew NNE out of Midway Island until we saw the Aleutian Islands on radar, then turned around and landed back on Midway. Approx 14 hours in the air. Google AEWBARRONPAC if you're curious.

I have 12VDC 7Ah Battery
Hi . that's very easy . but before sending you a circuit diagram , you should mention a parameter :
Can your load work with square wave ? or it should be just sine wave ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith 110

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have 12VDC 7Ah Battery
In case you haven't made them already, here are some back of the envelope calculations.
12V * 7A = 84 Watts, for a bit less than an hour
Your inverter is not likely to be more than 80% efficient
84 * 0.8 = 67.2 Watts
67.2 Watts / 220VAC = 305 mA
That is not very much current to work with for 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour.
How do you plan to recharge the battery?
Seems like a great deal of effort for a very small return.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
In case you haven't made them already, here are some back of the envelope calculations.
12V * 7A = 84 Watts, for a bit less than an hour
Your inverter is not likely to be more than 80% efficient
84 * 0.8 = 67.2 Watts
67.2 Watts / 220VAC = 305 mA
That is not very much current to work with for 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour.
How do you plan to recharge the battery?
Seems like a great deal of effort for a very small return.
A PC UPS would be far more efficient than anything one can build for the same amount of money. This rule applies to nearly every semi-modern to modern nation on earth.

Trying to build an inverter is typically an exercise in frustration, though there are several threads on that topic here that can be found using the search function of the forum.

Getting a gas or propane powered generator would be the only solution for daily 12 hour outages. For lighting, only flashlights.

A problem with maintaining power in an area where rechargeable battery technology is emerging or already exists, is that when the power IS enabled, the lines are quickly overloaded from thousands of people re-charging batteries for when the power goes out again. Losing 20%+ of the power when charging, and another 20%+ in discharging due to inefficiencies creates a larger demand for power.

If that power "doubling" didn't occur, the power would likely be more stable, and the outages less frequent and of a shorter duration.