Inverter and separate charger connected to Battery

alkit

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Hi,
Trying to find some info on the net, but can't see anyone who gives a clear answer on this:
Question is:
I want to have a system whereby it is permanently connected 24/7, and switches over to battery power during a power outage
Instead of connecting a UPS to a battery for power outages, can one connect a separate charger and inverter to the same battery?

If my logic serves me right, this would mean the following would happen:
1) Inverter would run constantly (with fan noise) as it is constantly converting from 12V to AC power
2) Charger would run constantly (unless power is out) as it is always topping up the battery due to constant use from the inverter

Surely this would be a highly inefficient setup, as it involves AC power -> 12V DC -> back to AC constantly.
As opposed to a UPS which bypasses inverter mode and pulls directly from AC when there is power?

Is the above correct? If so, then I guess a proper UPS would be the correct way to go?

Thanks for the help!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You also seem to have this other thread going on the same subject. The answers will always be the same. Just use a UPS and be done with it. Make sure the UPS is correctly rated for power out and extended run time if that is what you need or want.

Ron

alkit

Joined Feb 8, 2015
You also seem to have this other thread going on the same subject. The answers will always be the same. Just use a UPS and be done with it. Make sure the UPS is correctly rated for power out and extended run time if that is what you need or want.

Ron
Other thread was regarding running an inverter to UPS (as inverter does not have an auto switch function).
This thread is regarding connecting an inverter and charger to a single battery.

I see where there can be overlaps in topic, however, this thread is a general question regarding inverter and charger to a battery.
The other thread is a problem solving thread to figure out what is tripping my inverters