Inverse flow in 555 and 4017 and other improvement

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Alberto Leandro Tupone, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Alberto Leandro Tupone

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Hi! After a lot of work and help from guys on this site, I could make my first circuit.
    Now I'm looking face two problems that I couldn't resolve because I'm very noob, but maybe here can helpme a little (thanks in advance!)

My first problem
    is the switch isn't working with this configuration. I tried to turn off the 555 power supply but I think is taking it from negative pole (pin 1). Even more, If I took off the GND, the simulation fails.

[​IMG]

The second one is that I've 8 switchs, and because the circuit is far away from switchs and power supply, I'll need at least 9 cables to connect the control panel and the circuit. This can be done with 3 cables, or something like, I mean... 1 PWR, 1 CTRL and 1 GND? What do I need? With an idea I'll manage myself to look up in internet. I was also thinking in something like RF to switch but I don't know..... Thanks a lot in advance for any help/idea! :)

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Are you saying that you have problems with your simulation, or you built that circuit and have a problem with the switch? I see no power source other than B1, so disconnecting it has to turn off U1. You haven't drawn the power pins to the 4017. If this is in a simulator, it may require those.

3. Alberto Leandro Tupone

Jun 21, 2015
    Thanks wayneh for your time and effort to understand my design!
    Here there is a complete vision of the circuit, I didn't upload because I believe it was too much, but I think is better the complete panoramic.
    As you can see, even when the switch called "GENERAL" is turned off, everything is working, leds, 4017, 555, etc.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance and sorry by my poor knowledge!

4. Alberto Leandro Tupone

Jun 21, 2015
    By the way, I'm using Proteus 8, I couldn't find where is the pin 16 in the 4017 :( Maybe that is on everytime?

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    This is for a model aircraft I assume.

You really do need to put the power supply connections on the 4017. On a real world design you would need 220uf cap on the power supply.

6. Alberto Leandro Tupone

Jun 21, 2015
    Thanks Wendy. And wayneh. Both right! I'm seeing Proteus options and it seems to be the power rails configuration of the soft. There is any good simulator in order to make this circuit as "real world" ? Thanks!

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I don't use simulators, I breadboard on protoboards myself.

8. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Simulators need to have some point in the circuit designated as GND, for use as a reference point.
    LTspice (and I assume Proteus) just assumes that digital IC supply pins exist, so the digital IC models don't show them. You may need to specify ".param Vdd=12", for example, if you want to use a CMOS supply voltage other than the default 5V.

Edit:
    How does Proteus recognise if switches are opened or closed? I see notheing in your schematic to specify switch state. If the default is 'closed', then that would account for your GENERAL switch not working in the sim.

9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You may want to isolate just a battery, switch and lightbulb, so that you can work out how those simple elements function in Proteus. Make the switch work to turn the light on and off.

If the 4017 can see power without the rails connected, perhaps this default is being applied to the 555 as well.

10. Alberto Leandro Tupone

Jun 21, 2015
    Thanks a lot to all for your time and considerations, really, it helps me a lot!
    I'll investigate this deeply. At least now I understand is a simulator problem, not design.