Introduction to Digital electronics

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Hello guys!

I passed my uni entrance exams yesterday with 85% success .
I applied for 'Robotics' and 'communication ,multimedia , electronics ' .Those are 2 of the 5 courses in the Faculty of electronics .
I'm most probably choosing Robotics.

I've been playing with electronics for the past year and building minor circuits with discrete components and Ic's and I can find my way around most analog components and intuitively understand how everything works up to a level .

I think it's time I dove into digital electronics and start doing the stuff by myself and not wait for the uni to feed me the material. It's about being ahead of the game .

Can anyone recommend a good book which takes digital electronics from A-Z?

I prefer a practical approach . I like to play with stuff on the breadboard and 'see' it work before moving on .
I've read about gates and other stuff , I have a very very basic understanding of digital circuits so I want a book that encompasses everything .
Also , I have a tonne of Digital Gate ics including nand , nor , or , some flipflops and alot of other stuff so the faster I get to touch and caress all that the better .
I don't want to get into arduino and that crap Until I master all the basics.

So I'll restate the question :

Can anyone recommend A good book that covers all the basis of digital electronics ? Preferably From a practical approach (and in pdf ;))

I found one which is called 'Digital Electronics - A Practical Approach with VHDL - 9th Edition - William Kleitz' and wanted to ask if anyone here knows about it or can give any feedback on it .

Any info is appreciated , thanks !

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I found one which is called 'Digital Electronics - A Practical Approach with VHDL - 9th Edition - William Kleitz' and wanted to ask if anyone here knows about it or can give any feedback on it .

Any info is appreciated , thanks !
I'm not familiar with that particular book, but I want to mention that VHDL abstracts the basics of digital electronics. Not sure that's the best way to learn. If it were me, I'd learn electronics at the gate level before I went into VHDL.

That said, you'll eventually end up using VHDL/Verilog to design with if you stay in the industry.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Last edited:

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I'm not familiar with that particular book, but I want to mention that VHDL abstracts the basics of digital electronics. Not sure that's the best way to learn. If it were me, I'd learn electronics at the gate level before I went into VHDL.

That said, you'll eventually end up using VHDL/Verilog to design with if you stay in the industry.
Yes ofcource I'm planning to learn it at the gate level first before going into more complicated stuff .
Thanks for the info !

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
That's why you start at the beginning! ;)
It won't make much sense without an understanding of the hardware first...
Understandably :)
I'm planning to learn all of the gate functions first ,then how to make gates out of other gates , logic simplification , making flip flops out of discrete gates , then making diffrent circuits out of flipflops like adders etc and When I'm fully comfortable with that then what I usually do is make a project to sum it up and then move on to the next level :)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
That sounds like a good plan. The ebook here is pretty good at conveying a more application-based approach, so it may benefit you to read through it....

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I learned old school, by reading the TTL reference book from TI. There is a similar book for CMOS. I am a building blocks kind of designer, so that worked for me. Imagine all of the data sheets you'll need in one book.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I learned old school, by reading the TTL reference book from TI. There is a similar book for CMOS. I am a building blocks kind of designer, so that worked for me. Imagine all of the data sheets you'll need in one book.
Sounds good. I know that TI has an extended manual/book/guide for op amps but I didn't know they have the same thing for TTL

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
That sounds like a good plan. The ebook here is pretty good at conveying a more application-based approach, so it may benefit you to read through it....
Oh yeah ... forgot that AAC has ebook on this kind of stuff :D
I mean I probably did know it unconciously and dismissed it due to incompletion

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Oh yeah ... forgot that AAC has ebook on this kind of stuff :D
I mean I probably did know it unconciously and dismissed it due to incompletion
...it's pretty solid on the basics, up to state machines, as far as digital logic goes... I wrote some articles to fill the gaps in the counters section, but they might not get included for a while (updating the ebook is a very lengthy process:eek:), but there are plenty of resources out there...

You can read the proposed articles as a thread I started a while back...