introducing myself...

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
hi all

i am a newbie electronics engineer - graduated in 2007.

i have just started to have more design-work assigned to me at work - and will likely come here to ask for opinions and advice.

i look forward to learning a lot and becoming better at design - especially analog design.

so far i have been exposed to moderate difficulty tasks - basic microcontroller tasks (using a BASIC PIC), some A/D use, configuring a high slew/voltage/gain op amp...nothing other worldy. i have also really gotten interested in FPGA programming but have yet to have a chance to really test it at work.

i have written software only in PBASIC and Visual Basic - but i hope to work some C++ in at some point as well.

I would like to become a well-rounded EE and hopefully work for NASA or another nice R&D group in the future.

Again, i look forward to learning a lot, and maybe helping out some really big newbies if i can.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well, there should be a lot more jobs popping up if Obama has his way. He is cutting NASAs funding and pretty much canceling Constellation. He wants to open the way for private companies to design, build, and offer "Space Taxi" services to ferry our astronauts to the ISS and such.

And welcome to AAC.

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
Well, there should be a lot more jobs popping up if Obama has his way. He is cutting NASAs funding and pretty much canceling Constellation. He wants to open the way for private companies to design, build, and offer "Space Taxi" services to ferry our astronauts to the ISS and such.

And welcome to AAC.

I was disappointed about nasa funding cuts. I hope they are temporary.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Hey, nice to meet you. It sounds like you are getting a lot of programming work. I am not sure if I like that. If I wanted programming I would go for computer engineering. I like to design circuits and stuff, thats why I want to be an EE.

What exactly does your company do?

Btw I would love to work for NASA also. I love everything space related.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
NASA is scrubbing the shuttle program this year and starting the new project, forget the name though. Anyhow they are saying out of the old Shuttle project employee's only 30% will carry over to the new program so you might actually have a shot soon,,,,, if they can come up with Funding. GL

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
Hey, nice to meet you. It sounds like you are getting a lot of programming work. I am not sure if I like that. If I wanted programming I would go for computer engineering. I like to design circuits and stuff, thats why I want to be an EE.

What exactly does your company do?

Btw I would love to work for NASA also. I love everything space related.
My company designs industrial marking and coding machines and printers.

So things that print on soda cans, bags of chips etc.

<snip>

I was skeptical that it would be at all technically interesting at first, but it was the only gig open so i took it.

Turns out there is a lot of very interesting technology at play in that industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
sorry for posting the link...i was only intending to show the company i worked for, not advertise our products!

the company is markem-imaje - number 1 or 2 in the world in our market.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Just read Northrop Grumman is hiring for 4000+ positions of all types.

"
Openings are primarily in engineering, logistics, operations, research and product development, flight operations, and military training, among other departments. Candidates have the opportunity to work in areas ranging from global security to missile defense systems to unmanned aerial vehicles."