introduce jitter in cadence PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by farid82, Jan 18, 2012.

1. farid82

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Hi folks,

for a project I*m working I need a jittery square wave pulse to apply to input!
    anyone know how to produce such a signal in cadence tool??

I'd be appreciated for any hint

regards
    farid

2. PaulEE

Dec 23, 2011
    Define jittery

3. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Which Cadence tool? What type of design entry?

4. farid82

Jan 15, 2012
    Dear PaulEE

By jitter I mean random variation in rising edge of the pulse, I attached a photo of signal which I need

regards
    Farid

5. farid82

Jan 15, 2012
    Dear Brownout,
    you're right maybe I was not clear enough,

I working with cadence spectre ,and I have access to "ahdlLib" and "analoglib" libraries,

at the input of my design , I just need a square wave pulse with variation in rising edge of the signal .and I don't know how to produce it

I attached a photo a signal which I need to produce.
    as u can see I need a pulse which rising edge of it start earlier or later than expected ,and its random, I mean some time the rising edge is as expected ,butt some time it starts a bit earlier or later.(which is called jiiter)

regards
    farid

6. farid82

Jan 15, 2012

I attached a photo a signal which I need to produce.
    as u can see I need a pulse which rising edge of it start earlier or later than expected ,and its random, I mean some time the rising edge is as expected ,butt some time it starts a bit earlier or later.(which is called jiiter)

regards,
    farid

7. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Hi farid,

I dont' know anything about AHDL, but I've used verilog to do this before. Here is some code I copied from another discussion, to show how it was done.

The important part is in the last line. A function "$random" is added to the clock half-period to achieve the jitter. You might look into the AHDL documentation and see if there is a random function. I'll just bet there is. Let me know if you have any questions about the code.

Source: http://www.edaboard.com/thread100284.html

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Use an ideal opamp or comparator.

Feed one input a sawtooth wave; one that rises to a maximum value and then suddenly drops; this will establish your base frequency.
    Feed the other input a sine or triangle wave that is a different frequency from the sawtooth wave.